Vitus 992 headset removal

faber26

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I have just acquired a great Vitus 992 frameset on which I'd like to remove the headset to check the bearings as they don't seem to turn very smoothly. I have noticed two little screws on the upper part of the headset (see pic below) and thought that I would just have to unscrew the top part to release the forks and find the bearings. However nothing happens once the two side screws are removed and there isn't any portion of the cup that could serve block a wrench or so ... which leads me to wonder if this part is even screwed onto the fork!

So I thought I'd better come here and ask for the proper method to remove this type of headset. Any hints about this please?

Thanks!

42279368550_9c3ab8ba72_k.jpg

Auto-replying: I could finally unscrew the top cup. I've cleaned greased meticulously each and every part of the conical bearings. It didn't bring much of an improvement though, I can still feel the whole thing being "scartchy" and not smooth ...

How did you get the smooth, round top locknut off? I have same headset and there is nothing to grip a wrench onto the top locknut. Are the top nut and part under it (with 2 screws) threaded? thanks.

Back