Tubular tyre sealant advice sought

SimonJC

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I am after advice regarding tubular tyre sealant/puncture repair.
I stopped racing in 2016, and have a pair of original Lightweight wheels from 2002; these are the first generation wheels that were first seen when Armstrong and Ullrich battled it out in the Tour de France back then, using these wheels for the mountain stages. I got them as a pair of wheels for hill climbs/hilly TTs and had a pair of spare Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubs which I have fitted, with the idea of using them on odd weekends. After a short ride on them at the weekend I am looking to use them more often.
The wheels feel amazing in case you are wondering. Despite weighing just over 1kg for the pair, produce no flex at all even under full efforts and I am no lightweight myself (95kg). The front wheel, as in, hub, spokes and rim, weighs about the same as a standard aluminium rim!
So basically I am wondering what people do who use tubulars in terms of puncture protection? I was thinking about carrying a spare tub, and also some sort of puncture sealant such as Vittoria Pit Stop as the various reviews I have read are a bit hit and miss. So has anyone used this or does anyone else recommend something else?

I carry Pit Stop but I’ve not had to use it yet. Worth bearing in mind that you can’t get it into a punctured disc wheel because you can’t get the nozzle on the valve. Ask me how I know that...

Re:

Jonny69":3cm0choc said:
I carry Pit Stop but I’ve not had to use it yet. Worth bearing in mind that you can’t get it into a punctured disc wheel because you can’t get the nozzle on the valve. Ask me how I know that...

Yes I've seen their video - can has to be totally level with the valve so it won't work with a disc. My days of using a disc however are no more - purely into leisure cycling now. Lightweights are a remnant of these racing days for me. Either that or a ridiculous indulgence. It is like Jackie Stewart driving a Bugatti Veyron as a daily driver :D

I've been using the same 'solution' for the past 5 years. I use Orange Seal with some of the small 'glitter' (yes the stuff little girls use for their fairy outfits) mixed in - 20ml syringed into each tubular and the job is done. The reason for the small glitter is that it helps clog larger punctures that the Orange Seal alone could not bridge. When you get the typical burr or broken glass puncture, you stop, pick out the burr/glass and then rotate the wheel so that the puncture is at the bottom. Generally, the Orange Seal will seal the puncture at around 40psi. Wait a couple of minutes and spin the wheel again. Reinflate to around 80psi - 90psi and take it easy on the way home.
Store overnight so that the puncture is at the bottom of the wheel allowing a 'puddle' of sealant to aid in sealing. Inflate the next morning to your usual pressure and away you go - puncture fixed.
The other upside to 20ml of Orange Seal in each tubular is that your tubular tyres will hold pressure overnight much better. I have a pair of Clements that require only weekly pumping.
I also carry (but have never used) a can of pitstop, just for reassurance I guess.

Back