Wear a helmet or not?

I started riding with my first tricycle at the age of three in 1961 I have ridden bikes through every decade since.There was never any discussion about helmets until relatively recently.

I think the younger generations are more fearful and perceive risk far more easily.

PeterPerfect":2znuevul said:
Yes but a lot of Government money was initially put in to raise the standard of the tests and once raised the level of investment was reduced. The manufacturers aren't charities.

The manufacturers had the new lower standard brought in to save money. The older higher standard is now shunned by most who opt for the lower one. So, the standards have not been, or ever were raised as you say.

Re:

I must admit that what puzzles me are those cyclists who consider a helmet an essential safety item, but who then proceed to cycle along the highway with earphones, massively impairing their awareness of surrounding hazards.

On numerous occasions whilst driving on local country lanes I have followed cyclists wearing earphones, and who have been completely oblivious to my presence behind them.

It seems a strange sense of priority to care sufficiently about safety to wear a helmet, but then to deprive yourself of your second most important sense when cycling. Moreover, it doesn't do much for the already poor reputation of cyclists amongst motorists; not that a significant number of motorists are any better, with their smartphones, etc.

Re:

I was in Copenhagen last March, and very few urban commuters were wearing helmets.

Their road craft seemed disciplined and the cycle tracks allow about threw abreast.

I questioned a native non-cyclist who relies on car transport for mobility (handicapped) if there are conflicts with cyclists. She replied that there are so many cyclists you need
to be very patient turning (upto 15mins!!!) and a motorist can receive masses of verbal abuse from cyclists.

Perhaps critical mass and helmet wearing (or not) is strongly linked?

Re:

Working in mental health I've spoke to masses of people with brain injuries, I've had it closer to home with a family member who fell down the stairs. It's that easy to gain an injury that'll change your life forever. Why increase the odds when you just wear a helmet?

But the 'odds' are not increased. Anyone can slip on a banana skin, trip up a curb, fall over their own feet etc etc.

A helmet wont save your spleen or spine or multiple other organs that are required to correctly order a McDonalds breakfast before 10.30am

legrandefromage":3bx085fk said:
But the 'odds' are not increased. Anyone can slip on a banana skin, trip up a curb, fall over their own feet etc etc.

A helmet wont save your spleen or spine or multiple other organs that are required to correctly order a McDonalds breakfast before 10.30am

True! - the odds won't increase (unless drivers actively aim for non-helmet wearing varieties!)

What I don't understand is the risk/reward ratio of not wearing a helmet. A helmet only needs to work once for it to be of benefit - its as simple as that. A helmet didn't prevented me breaking my collar bone but at least it didn't result in head trauma from my noggin bouncing off the tar macadam.

Saying that, there have been a couple of deaths of family friends from a ruptured spleen and punctured lung from cycling accidents - I think the range of accidents a helmet can protect you from may be narrow in the face of all other injuries but again if it reduces total risk then it is a safer thing to do IMO.

legrandefromage":2twf5ktv said:

I'd rather die than live with some of the effects of a serious brain injury, as would most sufferers who take their lifes.

Re: Re:

MR OX":10bga1uq said:
Working in mental health I've spoke to masses of people with brain injuries, I've had it closer to home with a family member who fell down the stairs. It's that easy to gain an injury that'll change your life forever. Why increase the odds when you just wear a helmet?

I dont think that choosing to not wear a helmet increases the odds of brain injury. Many injuries are caused as a direct result of wearing a helmet. I am not saying dont wear one, just learn the benefits of choosing to wear one then decide if it is something you feel you need. After all, cycling is meant to be enjoyable, so if you are riding around worrying about hurting your head and feel a helmet will protect then surely you will have a more ejoyable ride wearing one :)

Also, as ive said before, understanding the limits of the helmet you buy is also wise, most are only rated for a stationary impact from just over a metre, as in falling off your bike while stopped, and only rated/designed for top impacts, as in landing on the top of your head not banging the side, front or back. I see more freeride type helmets around nowadays but im not sure, and doubt they will have a very high saftey rating, if any, for side impact either.

Some helmets sold in other countries, America for example have to have the older higher rating which will be a better buy but will sacrifice weight and comfort, less vents for example. Speaking of vents, most helmets fall short of higher standards and cant be tested due to vents, obviously a major gap in head coverage :LOL:

Re:

I’ve not worn helmets until recently on any bike but if I’m honest it seems the norm now and everyone wears one. I always wear it on road bike and trail bike. Not on my Xc bike I’d just going paths etc.

At trail centres people look at you a bit weird if you don’t have one on. And if I’m honest it scares me getting a brain injury more than death.

Back