Cinelli Bars Help

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm led to believe that these bars were made in two diameters at the centre sleeve - 26mm and 26.4mm - is this true and if so, does anyone know roughly when they shifted from one diameter sleeve to the other?

Many thanks,

Craig

I may be way off here so ignore me if I am but don't you mean 25.4 and 26? if so that affects a lot of bars.

The early ones were all 26.4, then I think mid-90's (ish) they had a time when they made both 26.4 and 26.0, before moving completely to 26.0....

Re:

Interesting stuff, folks - the reason I'm asking is the old Record stem keeps rotating a few degrees when I ride over bumpy surfaces and up here it's impossible to avoid!!

I've shimmed out the stem wedge as much as I can and was wondering if Cinelli made the bar sleeve 0.4mm bigger to solve the slipping/ creaking problems.. I can't imagine that they'd have made the bar smaller in diameter to solve the problem, but hey, you never know!

You may have gone past the point of no return if it's been slipping a lot. I have an old wedge stem that is now impossible to tighten the bars. The previous owner ran it loose for an entire muddy wet peaks ride, stopping only to heave the bars back into position. The wedge is now smooth and about a mm shorter than it needs to be. It'll need the attention of a machine shop to work again.

I'll do it one day.

Have you tried CF grip paste?

Re:

IIRC the 26mm 'bars had the measurement stamped on one end. Whether they carried that on after dropping 26.4mm I don't know. I had a terrible job trying to get an XA stem to grip some 26.4mm 'bars recently and even with carbon grip paste they still slipped so I gave up in the end and used a 1A - result.
Mark.

Re:

If bars and stem are both cinelli and of the same age then they should fit fine. Mixing early cinelli with anything else usually gives problems, but the later 26.0 stuff is obviously compatible with other makes, if they're 26.0 of course. The problem is that some parts like XA stems were made in both diameters

I think daccordimark said it, old Cinelli is 26.4 but they did do a variant which was 26.0, but this was clearly stamped on the bar. The newer re-released Cinelli are 26.0. However, Record stems are prone to slipping, Cinelli 1A every time!

Back