Help ID this frame, Viscount 600 Ex 1981 Bike of The Year

Triple British Champion 1981.

The Tony Doyle year(s).

I've a feeling that his 'Viscounts' were possibly Charles Roberts - but don't hold me to it! Certainly not factory issue ones!

Old Ned":vpjy0k21 said:

The Tony Doyle year(s).

I've a feeling that his 'Viscounts' were possibly Charles Roberts - but don't hold me to it! Certainly not factory issue ones!

Interesting, the frame I have could definitely be a custom build or a special order then ?

Peuf":1013gmk0 said:
Old Ned":1013gmk0 said:

The Tony Doyle year(s).

Interesting, the frame I have could definitely be a custom build or a special order then ?

I doubt it. I think the 'team' bikes were white - and they would have been 531 at least.

A VERY long thread on Viscounts here -

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=30

Re:

Great looking frame, Ive had a few Viscounts and always enjoyed riding and tinkering with them. I did loads of research a few years back but have to say I have lost most of it but did keep this screen grab which looks similar to your frame.

Attachments

• viscount.jpg
    viscount.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 449
Old Ned":hld3mw0s said:
I doubt it. I think the 'team' bikes were white - and they would have been 531 at least.

A VERY long thread on Viscounts here -

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=30

True, the tubing is quite uncommon, I have posted on this thread waiting to see if someone knows more :)

marshalllucky":hld3mw0s said:
Great looking frame, Ive had a few Viscounts and always enjoyed riding and tinkering with them. I did loads of research a few years back but have to say I have lost most of it but did keep this screen grab which looks similar to your frame.

Thanks marshalllucky, it's similar but can't see the panto on the fork and the brake cable guides looks different ;) We're getting there though haha

Re:

Just realised I never posted the full bike after it's been rebuild.

So far the best bike I've had. It turned out very well !
Shimano 600 groupset
Mavic Rims
San Marco saddle

And by the way for anyone looking for informations about this bike some guy on the viscount facebook group shared that with me:

The tubing was Viscount's own (allegedly) and didnt need to be butted. Originally their framed were lugless for lightness / strength according to the blurb in the catalogues....

FiveAlpha":2am5sklg said:
Unusual to see such a high-end group, on an unbutted frame, isn't it?

Yep, but I can't see the difference when I am riding it, this bike is well built !

Peuf":26oq5z90 said:
FiveAlpha":26oq5z90 said:
Unusual to see such a high-end group, on an unbutted frame, isn't it?

Yep, but I can't see the difference when I am riding it, this bike is well built !

Totally understand - I've just finished a clean-up of an old Jensen (Denmark) frame and forks, with beautiful lugs and fork crown, made with a full set of Columbus Aelle tubing. The craftsmanship seems a bit of a waste, for plain-gauge carbon steel but, apart from the extra 400g, the bike is a joy to ride.

Latest posts

Back