Crankset Replacement Advice

jari_42

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I need to replace the (original!) Thun 46T crankset on my 1983 Raleigh Richmond as the chainring is really quite worn causing the chain to skip when pedalling hard.

Any recommendations for a high quality replacement? Ideally I would like to retain the original chainring bash guard (see picture) and budget isn't really a concern.

Attachments

• 3FE86D17-8323-4C68-8188-57EA941C8E3B.jpeg
    3FE86D17-8323-4C68-8188-57EA941C8E3B.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 296
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Also, whatever you replace with may need a different bottom bracket spindle length or profile so be careful you don’t open a can of worms!!

@hamster: yes it’s a new chain but it’s still skipping and some of the chainring teeth are looking very shark like which leads me to suspect it’s the chainring (reluctant as I am to replace it). Thanks for the links, the Sturmey-Archer one looks really nice if a little pricey.

@MatBH5: good point! I assumed there was a standard bottom bracket size but I guess that’s probably not the case so will have to carefully check the fit...

or replace like for like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thun-aero-co ... SwYkBZ3MGD

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Ooh good find, this one also seems to have quite worn teeth on the one side though (as you can see from the third image) either that or it's a bizzare design feature as mine has a similar profile (but more wear).

Re:

Far more likely the chain jumping is on the rear cogs, a new chain would make this worse. I suggest replacing the rear cogs if this is the case.

Keith

Back