New wheel set install, cassette not moving?

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Evening chaps.

OK feel close with this yet so far, always something huh :LOL: :roll:

New wheel set came today, great, installed the cassette onto the free hub, as per the instructions used the spacer on the freehub first for a 10 spd cassette, slid the cassette on, all good, installed on bike, perfect.

When to turn cassette by hand, not having it.. if I try and spin it backwards which is only way it will go its stiff and grabby so I left it alone and need to consult the oracle :oops:

Pics because I am probably not explaining it right.

So it seems to me that the piece from the mech hanger converter which is on the inside of the dropouts is touching the cassette lock ring and maybe with this fouling it will not let the cassette spin?

I am wondering, do I even need to add the freehub spacer in this case and if I remove it, will the cassette be loose?

Also there doesn't appear to be enough space from the small ring on the cassette and the rear mech hanger converter for the chain to pass without snagging.

Any ideas please would be great.

:oops:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 307
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 307
OK so I have just undone the rear QR and it span freely, but when its locked in place even with moderate pressure it locks the cassette solid.

It already spins inside the hanger without closing the QR skewer. When I close it too even with moderate pressure it must be pinching something and the cassette locks.

I've just taken tyre and tube off to have a proper look.

It appears to be the silver part of the rear mech hanger that goes inside the dropouts with the bolt in that's touching the cassette and when I lock the QR its pinching and holding it.

Re:

What happens if you move the wheel to the very front of the dropouts?

Does that give you enough clearance?

Ideally you should add a spacer washer or two just enough to clear the cassette.

But that opens up issues with not enough axle protruding to be gripped by the frame drop out and so on and so fourth

OK that did work, but, it's right on the very edge and I mean, edge, one knock and the wheel would be out :cry:

So this rear mech converter is the problem, I hope theres an alternative? This is the one that was recommended to me though. I think it's installed correctly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 273
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 273
Back