Braze On Clamp

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Evening guru's :cool:

OK so I have a question about braze on clamps for the Raleigh Banana.

I guess I need one to mount the front mech? The mech I am using will be the Shimano Tiagra Front Derailleur 2 x 10 spd.

I did buy a shimano one but I sent it back, firstly it was too big and secondly it was too thick and the location of it would have just covered the bottom of the Raleigh decal hence wanting one that isn't so chunky.

So I need a thin braze on clamp, any ideas what my options are or will any braze on clamp do? I've seen some nice think campag ones but I guess they are not suitable?

I also noticed in the bag which the front mech came in, a small plastic pouch and inside this 2 small squares of metal that looked like they had a 3m foam pad on, maybe a picture would be better. Does anyone know why this was included with the front mech and if I need to use this in conjunction with a braze on?

So many questions on what seems like a straight forward clamp lol but when ya haven't done it before am clueless :shock:

I ordered wheelset tonight and 28mm tyres and tubes so maybe in a couple of weeks she will be rolling for the first time :D

Need a minimal braze on clamp first so I guess I am stuck at this hurdle.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

Do you need a mech that clamps to the downtube or a mech that bolts to a brazed on tag (on the downtube) ? A braze on clamp is a contradiction in this context.

Rk.

Re:

You only have two choices with the clamp, find another that is 28.6mm and thinner, it really does not make any odds what brand it is as the tabs fitted to frames are all pretty much the same. Your only other option is to get a different front mech with a 28.6mm tube clamp type fitting. Personally I'd go far a different adaptor.

No idea what the squares you describe are for. Piccies help.

28mm tyres. :shock: Hopefully they will fit in the frame OK, I usually ride 23's or 25's if I want a plush ride.

If you want to use the indexing for the front mech, you will have to use the correct model as the shifting wont match the cable pull and reach.

The clamps that are available to use the braze on type mech are quite big and chunky. You could get one and trim it down.

Most band on front mechs now come with frame adaptors for 28.6/ 31.8 and 34.9 tube sizes, but again, you must carefully partner them to your shifters otherwise the front shifting simply wont work.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Braze-On-M ... qAQAvD_BwE

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Front-D ... ZcQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Massi-Front-De ... 2081030891

1432779227484-1uv5qnvs7opm2-630-354.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The two squares stick to the frame,well you only use one. There is a grub screw in the mech that you then screw against the plate to give some extra support. Helps with modern lightweight tat that flexes.

Hey guys.

Only just got in to see this post, thanks a lot for the advice.

I'll keep you posted if the tyres fit, bit worried now, and also let you know how the braze on goes.

Mines defo braze on type.

Something like this would be ideal but I wasn't sure if I could get away with it:

Pleased to know I can :D

Thanks again.

Attachments

• snap693.jpg
    snap693.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 274
Back