Bike Brands to invest in

Re: Re:

The History Man":aeo189zd said:
lewisfoto":aeo189zd said:
That list is a bunch of hogwash, and I own five of the seven marques mentioned.
Well hello stranger. Good to see you back! :LOL:

Are we talking knees or cars or top trumps?

Bikes I am afraid.

Nice to be back, thanks.

The two SBDU frames I had were a bit underwhelming out on the rides. One had been heavily used in the club circuit so was very tired. The new owner was happy enough though. The other was very rusty and in danger of being holed due to damp storage from the previous owner. That was rescued and given a new lease of life.

As investments, they might have broken even by now. Globally, certain cycling brands have done well, you could have picked up a few Ritchey MTB frames for not a lot where now they command high prices. Early Joe Breeze bikes are fetching serious money - sometimes enough to buy a certain V8 saloon. Charlie Cunning frames are also fetching similar prices in the MTB world.

Road bikes, I think finding a nice Rene Herse a few years ago would yield a nice return today, Quality can still conquer nostalgia, despite the best efforts of a Team Banana paint job.

And then theres always the bubble that could just blow it all away and leave us with nice bikes to ride instead.

Nice.

Ooh look, a piece of rope!

Ohhh... you know you want to....

Attachments

• Cheese Attractor.jpeg
    Cheese Attractor.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 443
I havent the the foggiest idea as to what you are on about.

Just my own observations from the past ten years of watching 'stuff' on this site and ebay trends.

Personally, investments in old Hifi have worked out pretty well but I dont think I've ever made anything from cars or cycling, except an Italia 90 Fiat Panda I got given. - I 'made' £60 :LOL:

Ok! Once again we have come to the point where reports are made and threads reviewed because of offending posts.
Will reopen this once a chance to review and delete anything that shouldn't be here.
Keep it on topic and while in a quick glance of the two pages added since I have last seen it, it's not just what you say, which in itself is not the nicest on some of these, but how you say it, also how we interact with each other generally.
If we can't play nicely then the thread will just be deleted.
You didn't have to use the length of just enough rope.

REOPENED : PLAY NICELY

Jamie

Re:

This thread seems to have completely missed the woods for the trees.

The 'article' posted [linked to] is nothing more than an advert written by an insurance company to advertise their insurance for classic bikes.

The author probably doesn't even know anything about bikes or their history - instead I suspect they simply typed 'expensive classic old vintage retro collectable bikes' into google and downloaded pics from classicrendezvous or similar.

It really has little bearing on anything, and certainly isn't a copy of any merit nor should it be read as being such.

BoyBurning":jqfv2bhx said:

The 'article' posted [linked to] is nothing more than an advert written by an insurance company to advertise their insurance for classic bikes.

The author probably doesn't even know anything about bikes or their history - instead I suspect they simply typed 'expensive classic old vintage retro collectable bikes' into google and downloaded pics from classicrendezvous or similar.

It really has little bearing on anything, and certainly isn't a copy of any merit nor should it be read as being such.

A fair summary I would say.

PeachyPM":jbuw9ivu said:
BoyBurning":jbuw9ivu said:

A fair summary I would say.

Agreed. Although I did like some of those trees. :D

BTW, I love The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Closet steampunk fan here.

To me it's all about the way the bike rides not who's name is on the tubes the 90/70/80's British quality frame builders were capable of producing equal to European builders The Class riders were issued with mostly European brands although Raleigh did OK The best riding bike Ive owned was Italian a Mondonico but a close second was a Pongo Braithwaite "Aende" & a Barry Chick built "Shorter"

Back