1988 Miyata Carbon Tech 1000

HumanReason

Dirt Disciple
Good day fine people I come to you all looking for help in my journey to acquire a 1988 Miyata Carbon Tech 1000.

I've no interest in modern carbon bikes and the lot but a few years ago a friend of mine showed me his old carbon allez from the 90's which was the first time I had ever seen an aluminum lugged carbon frame. Being a fan of lugged frames and what to me was the very strange nature of the allez I had seen I set out to find something similar that would be worth investing my time in and eventually after looking around for a while I stumbled upon the existence of Miyata's early carbon frames and was completely taken my the '88 1000.

Here's what I know; there have been none on ebay, craigslist, etc for the past two years while I have been looking for one, and none of the shops within driving distance of me here in Chciago, Il have ever seen one come through.

So basically what I'm hoping I can get from anyone here is maybe a little knowledge into how to better track down particularly hard to find frames such as this one and also any way I might be able to take my search more international beyond just this english speaking world if it comes to that.

Welcome

Hello and welcome :D
While I dont have what you are looking for, I am sure Mel or one of the others should be able to point you in the right direction ;)

Jamie

The 1st time we see this type of carbon Miyata appear is in the 1987 catalog. You are familiar with this Miyata catalog link? >> http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... -1988.html

In the 1988 catalog we also find a write up on the structure for the Miyata tubing. There are many layers fibre sheets in multiple directions, but there is also a special quality steel wire used in the construction.

Koga-Miyata had an equivilent model called FullPro-AC in 1987. You can view it in the catalog on their site. I am sure only a handfull sold.

I understand this type of frame was replaced in 1989 by a new carbon offering. Easy to recognize by the internal brake cable routing. A 1989 Koga-Miyata Pro I saw advertised locally recently. They are rare, but not as rare as the earlier ones.

Below shown frame is from 1991. You see the cable routing moved to on top the toptube.

4774809905_1f2ac3e6f2_b.jpg

For 1993 this frame was redesigned. It now got a slim monostay and the brake cable stops were neatly integrated in the head- and seatlug. About a year ago I offered a NOS issue of this frame through Retrobike. Model RoadWinner.

The FullPro models were raced by both Koga's own amateur team and the Tulip computers pro team.

The Miyata catalog site was actually where I first encountered the bike back when I was searching around trying to learn about the older types of carbon frames. The makeup of the carbon along with the polished aluminum lugs were what initially turned me on to the particular bike from that year.

Thanks for the info on the newer frames, that i was unaware of outside of a few carbon tech 7000 frames I had found reference to on another forum and the build pictures for a single speed conversion of one on another.

You mention a Koga-Miyata equivalent model, for the time frame what is the difference between the entities known as Miyata and Koga-Miyata?

Koga is Dutch. When Andries Gaastra founded Koga in 1974 he considered Miyata the best party to supply him the frames. Hence Miyata built the frames for Koga. They teamed up with R&D. They are two independent companies with own identity and positioning.

Frames had a lot on common, but could be different in details. The finishing was unique. There are Kogas where never existed a Miyata US equivilent of, like for example a Max tubing roadframe and an e-stay mountainframe.

hi,
I hv Miyata Carbon Tech 3000 currently on sale in Ebay. Check it out.
Tks.

Attachments

• DSCN1696 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1696 - Copy.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,239
Re:'88? Miyata Carbon Tech 1000

Ask and ye shall receive. My 88? Miyata Carbon Tech 1000. I have an original. I can't downsize the photo file.

Even more good news. I'm located just north of Indianapolis, about a four hour drive.

Regards,
David

Ps. If someone could assist me in reducing my file size, so I can post pictures, I would be appreciative.

Re:

What's the consensus option on the Miata? Small frame, light weight, with 27" rims. That equals quickness, agility and an uncanny glide. Literally like nothing I've ever ridden.

Amuse me please

Back