LEACH MARATHON

VeloFellow54

Old School Hero
Recently acquired : A rare Leach Marathon frame. Sadly it has been refinished but with a little work could be restored to it's former glory. Frame number is 22291. What I am attempting to establish is a date for this frame and also the maker of the lugs. The lugs are similar to Brampton ('Snipe') from the late 40's/early 50's - but slightly different. Any Leach experts out there who can help with this one ?

Attachments

• LEACH.22291.8.jpg
    LEACH.22291.8.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • LEACH.22291.3.jpg
    LEACH.22291.3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,225
  • LEACH.22291.1.jpg
    LEACH.22291.1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,226
I think it might be earlier. It’s got 30s mudguard eyes and it’s rare to see them after the 30s, plus the angles are very relaxed which always points to an earlier frame. Does the steerer have a finer thread than normal with a vertical slot cut in it for a clip type headset, and are the headset cups integral to the head tube?

Ekla lugs? Way before my time but for its age and not kept in a museum it looks in good nick...

Re:

Looks early post war to me, no head clip. The lugs are pressed, not cast, but with ears for the top eyes. Probably the Brampton lugs, as seen in Brown Bros 1953 catalogue at 11 shillings and one penny the set, but these were usually 73/71. Perhaps the shallow angles are photographic illusion?
Mudguard eyes were commonly used in the late 40s.
Does it have clearance for 27 x 1 1/4 wheels?

Keith

Yes - never had a clip headset and needs 27 inch wheels. The lugs are similar to Ekla but closer to the Brampton ones shown in the Brown Brothers catalogue. I will check the frame angles. I suspect that this is probably from about 1948. I have seen a similar frame but with a later number which has it's original finish (very elaborate !) - so I have something to work from. Long term project.

Re:

Hi, the Leach you have is definitely post war, the serial numbers before the war were three digit, and the '22***' range of serial numbers I have seen on other post war Leach's, definitely 1946 - 50. I believe the badge is a post war one ( can't quite see it ) , I do have a pre war Leach and I will try and put up the badge ( when I'm back home ) for comparison with yours. Terry

Thanks Terry.
Will be interesting to compare. My head badge is enamelled green / yellow / black - normally they seem to be in red and blue. I have examined it carefully and am quite sure that these are the original colours. I have now repainted in carefully. See before & after
Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• LEACH.HEADBADGE.1.jpg
    LEACH.HEADBADGE.1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,129
  • LEACH.HEADBADGE.1b.jpg
    LEACH.HEADBADGE.1b.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,129
Re:

Hi, the pre war badge, check out the address, they obviously expanded after the war, nice bikes, can't wait to get mine finished. Terry

Attachments

• prewar leach.png
    prewar leach.png
    84 KB · Views: 1,105
Almost the same as mine but not painted and looks to read 51 & 52 as against 51 & 53 ? Would be interested in seeing the frame also. There is so little information available on these E London makers. Worthy of a full restoration. I agree that it is post war and guess 1947/8 would be about right in my case. I think that I may have identified a source for original waterslide decals also. Would be nice if I can get them.

Re:

Hi,
two photos can be found in one of my albums on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_photos ... 974052502/ , the serial number is close to a Leach tandem with a receipt from April 1938, so probably March 1938. I had a closer look at the badge and it is a three not a two, so it is the same. Therefore it must be just after the war, or during, I have seen 22501 and that was dated 1947, the post war serial number is a bit random as far as pattern. Thanks Terry

Latest posts

Back