Eroica Britannia 2018

Re:

My second EB. We were really disappointed with the 'Festival' element this year. I went for the ride but needed the festival element to encourage Mrs Oldaircool to attend with me. It was just not value for money this year. Entertainment was, in my opinion, pretty poor and the number of stands and exhibitors seemed well down on last year. I enjoyed the ride. Did the 100 on my 81 Record Ace, but a couple of the hills beat me. Will I go back? Not unless it receives a drastic overhaul.

non-fixie":3pdkwsm0 said:
After having been to several continental events, mrs non-fixie and I decided to come to Eroica Britannia this year.

It was our first time, so we chose to do the short route. The ride was quite enjoyable, not in the least because of the beautiful Peak District landscape.

The festival, however, was a bit of a disappointment. Too much of a lifestyle/hipster/fun-for-the-whole-family sort of thing for our taste. The bicycle was just a prop, it seemed. The fact that it was out in the sticks and really spread out didn't help either.

What struck me was the almost total absence of international participants. In that respect the contrast with the previous week's Retroronde was rather striking.

There was a small contingent of Italians on my ride as well as Germans. But mainly UK as you imply.

non-fixie":3hzm61hu said:
After having been to several continental events, mrs non-fixie and I decided to come to Eroica Britannia this year.

It was our first time, so we chose to do the short route. The ride was quite enjoyable, not in the least because of the beautiful Peak District landscape.

The festival, however, was a bit of a disappointment. Too much of a lifestyle/hipster/fun-for-the-whole-family sort of thing for our taste. The bicycle was just a prop, it seemed. The fact that it was out in the sticks and really spread out didn't help either.

What struck me was the almost total absence of international participants. In that respect the contrast with the previous week's Retroronde was rather striking.

I was at the Retro Ronde and rode the 100km route. I thought it was a great event. The scenery was fantastic and the food stops were great fun. I will definitely be doing it again.

JSH":2yif0bxx said:
I was at the Retro Ronde and rode the 100km route. I thought it was a great event. The scenery was fantastic and the food stops were great fun. I will definitely be doing it again.

I don't know how those Belgians do it, but the Retroronde is always a lot of fun.

Re: Re:

Rk.[/quote]

I'm 42, not old compared to some and my knowledge is pretty average at best on retro bikes, I just know what I like.
The first tour I watched was 89 and I've watched it since and it feels like cycling has always been fairly similar in popularity in europe for my 30 years as a fan. It doesnt seem as much of a fad, more ingrained in the culture.
It feels like people over here love a even need a profile pic or status update, they'll jump on the latest thing and it feels like cycling is just another big fad.
Obviously there are lots of long time fans and newer fans who love it and everything about it. There also seems to be quite a few who are in to it as its now a cool thing.
I loved road cycling as a teen because nobody else did, I liked it because it was different. It seems very mainstream at the moment and Eroica seems like just another cash cow.
This probably isnt the place to rant as its full of super passionate and knowledgable enthusiasts, i tip my cap to all of them, I even tip my cap to the people who are jumping on it for style points. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It just doesnt feel like the sport/lifestyle that I grew up loving.
Hopefully Eroica carries on succesfully, i do hope somebody starts a retro fondo with a more inclusive nature, perhaps with with bikes 20yrs or older. That would be cool.[/quote]

I haven't as yet gone to an Eroica (basically due to time constraints) but reading a lot of the comments on this years it looks to be going the way of many of my other interests.
I'm a similar age (50 this year) and am quite scared I'm the prototype for hipster 1.0 as I never gave up my steel framed road bikes (although I kept the gears on mine), never stopped buying vinyl records and have always preferred my beer flat and room temperature so as a younger man was used to being ridiculed in bike shops, record shops and pubs, you want what Grandad? Being the standard retort to most of my requests.

I've seen this happen with pretty much every hobby I'm involved with (bikes, cars, hifi etc etc. ) so perhaps I need a new hobby. Falconry anyone?

allenh":3doogzv2 said:
I haven't as yet gone to an Eroica (basically due to time constraints) but reading a lot of the comments on this years it looks to be going the way of many of my other interests.
I'm a similar age (50 this year) and am quite scared I'm the prototype for hipster 1.0 as I never gave up my steel framed road bikes (although I kept the gears on mine), never stopped buying vinyl records and have always preferred my beer flat and room temperature so as a younger man was used to being ridiculed in bike shops, record shops and pubs, you want what Grandad? Being the standard retort to most of my requests.

I've seen this happen with pretty much every hobby I'm involved with (bikes, cars, hifi etc etc. ) so perhaps I need a new hobby. Falconry anyone?

Join the V-CC, despite the slightly frumpy image (it was very frumpy when I joined 30 years ago !) there's a thriving lightweight community of friendly and very knowledgeable enthusiasts and rides all over the UK.

For example, I run the Lincolnshire Section and we have a ride to the coast (our Up the Creek Ride) next weekend, and one in the East Riding in August. There are member's in North Kent, I used to live in the Weald when I first joined the V-CC (SV-CC back then).

Vinyl is cool and I prefer ale to the fizzy stuff, but when I'm in France it's a Ricard, when in Spain it has to be Estrella.

Rk.

allenh":1hamjgde said:

Made me laugh, I feel much the same.

No joking, try ferrets. Had them for 7 years, great fun!

roadking":177u5n0x said:
allenh":177u5n0x said:

Join the V-CC, despite the slightly frumpy image (it was very frumpy when I joined 30 years ago !) there's a thriving lightweight community of friendly and very knowledgeable enthusiasts and rides all over the UK.

For example, I run the Lincolnshire Section and we have a ride to the coast (our Up the Creek Ride) next weekend, and one in the East Riding in August. There are member's in North Kent, I used to live in the Weald when I first joined the V-CC (SV-CC back then).

Vinyl is cool and I prefer ale to the fizzy stuff, but when I'm in France it's a Ricard, when in Spain it has to be Estrella.

Rk.

I'd forgotten about the V-CC so thanks for that yes I think I will.

Ricard yes and tbh a lot of Lager in Europe is drinkable but I tend to go for the dark and amber Trappist beers, it's just the mass produced , chemical induced fizzy stuff we get here I don't like

hamster":9048w8mx said:
allenh":9048w8mx said:

Made me laugh, I feel much the same.

No joking, try ferrets. Had them for 7 years, great fun!

Ha ha, I had Ferrets as a kid funny enough

Back