Clipless Pedals - Educate a novice

Re:

I also use the SH51 two bolt type MTB cleats. I'm happy with them but I'm a little surprised at their popularity for road bikes. I would have expected more people to use the 3 bolt type.

To start with I used the same shoes on my road bike as my mountain bike and didn't want to use two different systems. I've got a variety Shimano pedals (PDM-530. A-520 and A-600) on different bikes and prefer a bit of a platform that will just about work if you aren't wearing cycling shoes.

The double sided m-530 pedals are good for commuting and in town where you might be stopping and starting frequently and need to focus more on traffic than getting your feet in the clips.

I think that the A-520 single sided are a bit retro looking and while obviously not toe clip pedals they don't look too out of place on an older steel framed bike with silver chain set and crank arms.

The A600s are on a modern road bike and while they are advertised as touring type pedals, they work for me and are good quality.

I've never changed the clip settings from the middle/factory position and have rarely had problems with my feet being too difficult to clip in or easy to pull out unintentionally. Some advise setting the tension a bit lower while you get used to having your feet attached to the pedal and then increasing the tension after a few weeks.

I was told that I would fall off the bike a couple of times before it became intuitive to twist my foot to release the clip when coming to a stop. This turned out to be correct. But before long it becomes a reflex movement.

For setting up I was given some advice about letting your feet hang while sitting on the saddle and see how your toes point - inwards, outwards, straight - and try to set the cleats in the base of the shoe to match the natural angle that your feet follow.

Thanks Pearson, sound advise.

I think pedal-wise I'm going to go for the M530's as they look to offer that extra platform but aren't very expensive. I think being double sided will work better for me as a beginner, despite much preferring the look of the A520's.

Shoe-wise I'm still unsure. Going to see what my local Decathlon can offer, failing that a friend recommended I go to Merlin cycles. There are loads of shoes which look comfortable and suit my needs, but they're expensive. I'm not a total tight a--se, but it seems silly expending money on something I'm not entirely sure i'll use a great deal at this point.

Update to follow when I've spent my pocket money!

Back