1978 Holdsworth Championship - fixed or single for winter?

MyNameIsEarl

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I've recently picked up a cheap Holdsworth 10-speed that I'd like to convert to a fixed or single speed for winter training.

Can anyone let me know what my options are?

I've checked out sheldonbrown.com and mytenspeeds.com, but have just ended up confused!

Attachments

• HC5.JPG
    HC5.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 508
  • 485103268_2694f321ae_o.jpg
    485103268_2694f321ae_o.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 508
The wheel will be dished for a multi-speed freewheel. Simply screwing on a single freewheel will send the chianline off by around 15mm. It's simplest to buy a new (singlespeed) wheel which will be dishless.

hamster":fnbtpan6 said:
The wheel will be dished for a multi-speed freewheel. Simply screwing on a single freewheel will send the chianline off by around 15mm. It's simplest to buy a new (singlespeed) wheel which will be dishless.

Hi hamster,

Would this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COURIER-NARROW ... 6FWXA16RVS

Although I just noticed it's for track bikes (110mm), rather than my bike (120mm). Could I use a couple of 5mm spacers?

Thanks!

Hang on, one thing to check - is it 27" or 700c? My guess from the age it's 27" (check on the tyre), there will be an ETRTO number - 630 for 27", 622 for 700c.

I would find the right width hub; 120mm is not at all uncommon.

Running700c in a 27" frame is fine, but complicates matters as you will need to swap to deep drop callipers. I changed my Witcomb to 700c using Tektro R559, which look OK, are good value and work brilliantly.

hamster":a88h8gs0 said:
Hang on, one thing to check - is it 27" or 700c? My guess from the age it's 27" (check on the tyre), there will be an ETRTO number - 630 for 27", 622 for 700c.

I would find the right width hub; 120mm is not at all uncommon.

Running700c in a 27" frame is fine, but complicates matters as you will need to swap to deep drop callipers. I changed my Witcomb to 700c using Tektro R559, which look OK, are good value and work brilliantly.

I'm told they're 700c, but will check. I've added a (poor) photo of the complete bike as advertised. The brakes look standard Weinmann.

Attachments

• hw.JPG
    hw.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 470
MyNameIsEarl":1imdkskf said:
Thanks! they look good - 120mm rear hub, but pricey for a beater/winter bike (I'm a tight a**e), will keep looking

You'll need reasonably decent hubs for a winter bike, the cheap ones will last literally weeks with road salt and rain killing the bearings. Unless that is you like re-packing bearings. :?

Very cheap wheels are a false economy in my view - hard to keep true and unreliable.

Back