List of British manufacturers frame numbers

Philmay":10la76gx said:
Hardly absurd. Huge undoubtedly but if individuals collated their collective knowledge it would be of benefit to all surely.

Unfortunately there would still be blank spaces the practice of the frame being built by some one other than the name displayed it could have the builders # or the Badged companys # some badged frames were built by several different builders I wish you well but it's been a labour of love even for a single make never mind the complete list Or in the case of "Pongo" Braithwaite of "Aende" who's frames very rarely sported a frame # Also in bygone days a good #of frame builder fitted this in between running a bike shop or a small engineering set up it was very much in the cottage industry remit & records were not the #1 requirement Mr Joe Bloggs commissioned Mr AN Other to build him a frame it was usually a short distance away so visits to check progess were not difficult so the owner to be knew & had seen the builder of choice manufacture the frame so a #was not a necessity I built 3 frames I asked the owners if they wanted #'s & they said no If I see them again I"ll know them as #1 was lugged #2 sifbronze lugless &#3 TIG welded

Back