1990's Shimano Compatibility?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have just started to build up a 1990's Cougar and decided to use some Dura Ace 7400 parts I had put by for another project.

My issue is that the Cougar has no down tube shifter bosses, so instead of the index down tube shifters I intended to use I now have to use brake / shifter levels, and it seems that Dura Ace 7400 rear mechs like to work exclusively with matching shifter, of which there are none on ebay or anywhere else I have looked.

So, the fixes I have found are to use 6400 shifters and rear mech, or any 9 speed shifters with the 7400 mech, or it may be possible to route the cable into the 7400 mech to allow the use of 6400 shifters.

Unless, anyone here has another solution.

In general,

Shimano rear shifting is usually fine (if you ignore Dura-ace) when mixing and matching. even some 10spd mechs are backward compatible.

Fronts have to be very carefully matched , year rather than groupset as for instance, later front Ultegra front mechs have a different reach and cable pull when compared with earlier models within the same groupset.

So match 98 mechs with 98 shifters etc etc

Not quite strict hard and fast rules as some stuff is still confusingly compatible.

Be prepared for lots of faffing

Re:

All the 7400 stuff I have is from around 1990.

From what you are saying it seems like I am really left with trying to find some 7400 shifters, OR change F&R mech to match alternative shifters.

Oddly, my first road build a number of years ago matched Tri-color 600 F&R mechs with 10 speed Tiagra shifters and it all worked a treat, just shows what you can do when you don't know any different.

I'm not up on Dura Ace, I remember it had different cable pull for the rear when it went 'proper' in 1986. But then I've used early 'proper' DA mechs elsewhere too without too much issue despite the incompatibility warnings on the instruction papers of the day.

but with the then DA STI, I think its all up in the air.

600 is a loverly groupset to use, build and look at and there still seems to be plenty around.

Re:

OK, that's all good.

My reading is that DA was really brought in initially for racers, and the different pull ratio meant it shifted quicker, or maybe with less effort, I'm not sure I'm kinda reading between the lines here.

I think my fave solution thus far is to use DA7700 9 speed shifters, which apparently have the same pull ratio.

I feel some experimentation coming on here.

I'm also a 600 fan, there is a lot of it about, lots in really good condition and my experience is that it works like a charm.... only, I have all this DA7400 stuff. :facepalm:

Re:

Yeah, while Shimsno gear is reasonably all compatible every so often appears a glitch in a gruppo generation. Is there not a known fudge with different cable clamping on the mechs to take into account different pull ratio?

Re: Re:

Woz":5ip5pvmx said:
Yeah, while Shimsno gear is reasonably all compatible every so often appears a glitch in a gruppo generation. Is there not a known fudge with different cable clamping on the mechs to take into account different pull ratio?

Yes, there is. I have no idea if it works though.

Back