Today's ROAD ride

Re:

Tough day in the Cotswolds.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_25e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_25e.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 621
Re:

Monday's, actually. With a big ride coming up this w/e, a disrupted winter and spring of cycling, and now finally back at home after a variety of other demands on my time, opportunity to get out on the bike and try and rack up miles and metres. Built up the Bob Jackson the other week, set up for some very steep hills (including a 26 on the front), good to get out on a beautiful day.
To get extra miles in from York I often start off going west to Wetherby then up the gnarly old A1 to Boroughbridge (lovely bakers where I stocked up for the day) and then start the pleasant roads going east up into the Howardian Hills. Overshadowed by the better-known Dales, North Yorkshire Moors and the Wolds, this small line of hills offer some of the most delightful cycling anywhere, including sharp and hard little hills. Warm sunshine, a little wind from the east and a bike that was going well. At Brandsby put in an extra loop, going up Peel Banks to Yearsley:

then back down to Brandsby on the B1363 and then east to take in one of my favourites, Snargate Hill, with it’s wonderful views over the Vale of York:

Then along past the City of Troy turf maze:

To Terrington where a high speed descent was abruptly halted by a decision to stop for coffee at the village stores - couldn't resist this picture.

Past Castle Howard at Coneysthorpe and on to Malton, leaving Norton southwards, past the gallops and down to Birdsall, with a steady climb up to the top of the dale from Thixendale. Time and maps consulted, a prior commitment to meet my partner from work at 5.00 meant the drop down to Thixendale would have to wait until another day. Instead, to Acklam Wold and the long descent down Greet’s Hill, passing this view on the way:

There cannot be a better descent anywhere for a day like this: the views are incomparable.

Continued down, through Buttercrambe and out onto the main road just west of Stamford Bridge. The Balloon Tree café was also forsaken today by the need to get back. 88 miles, 1365 m and an average speed of just under 16 mph (that’s quick for me): everything a ride should be.

PS Tested the BJ up some properly serious hills yesterday, Sneck Yate Bank (or Boltby Bank), Caper Hill (not been up either of these two before) and then as tough as it gets in North Yorkshire, Rosedale Chimney. 26 at the front and 30 at the back was sufficient, found the first two a bit tough but by the time I got to Rosedale was going well so a fairly smooth ascent. Can’t say the same for the roads, lots of rough surfaces and potholes but really pleased with how the bike going.

Days like these show it's good to be alive, and it's also not bad being old and retired.

Attachments

• Yearsley.jpg
    Yearsley.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 584
  • Snargate Hill.jpg
    Snargate Hill.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 584
  • City of Troy maze.jpg
    City of Troy maze.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 584
  • Terrington stores.jpg
    Terrington stores.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 584
  • View from the road.jpg
    View from the road.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 584
  • Going down Greet's Hill.jpg
    Going down Greet's Hill.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 584
Does look a great ride and what a day for it.
The Bob Jackson looks really nice and sounds like it performed just as nicely.

Jamie

Out for a ride along the coast again today.
Rode out yesterday to meet fellow retrobiker Ken (jackosbournesnr) finish his end to end ride but was on my Trucker and it was wall to wall fog and gloom. Felt bad for him after the glorious weather we have had. Thankfully the glorious weather was back today and he managed to get back up to Dunnet Head and get the views he missed yesterday.
This afternoon I took the Jack Taylor out for a leisurely roll along the coast just checking for fit etc as I have a couple of ongoing projects and need to finish one or the other properly. So just looking for inspiration really.
It's really just cobbled together with parts from my Mercian and spares box, but they tend to work together Ok. The cables look quite short due to lifting the bars and cables straight off the Mercian, but they work with the Mafac Racers no problem at all.
Even with the parts I put on it not being what I will final build it with, it rides and handles beautifully. Really just forgot about trying to see how it fit and just really enjoyed the ride.
Hope the weather was good to everyone else.

Jamie

DSCN4837 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4840 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4847 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4844 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Re:

jackosbournesnr":8jjiti52 said:
Check out pages 5 -10 on this thread then... :D

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=380684

Heck of a ride.

What a shame I didn't know you were in the area, Cheddar Gorge is only 15 miles from my front door and I could have come out to meet you.

I've been out that way this morning (Burrington Combe) on my final run before I head North at the end of the week.

Back