PINARELLO Montello (?) Identification Help wanted

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Hey guys!

Today, I bought this vintage Pinarello beauty. From what I know, the head-badge shows a Mid 80s Pinarello. Bridgeless SLX tubing model tells me its a Montello. Inner cables in the top tubing tells me, its a Montello, too! I`ve read, that early Montellos had only the right chainstay chromed like this one here. Later, the full triangle was chromed. Also, I will have a look, if the dropouts are Campagnolo or Pinarello stamped. Early Montellos hat Campagnolo, the later ones Pinarello stamped in. The frame is fully chromed with a red metallic like paint on top of the chrome.

The small Battaglin (1981) winning Stickers usually were used around 1982/1983

But what strikes me, is the fork. Its an early Pinarello Model. Late 70s / early 80s I guess. Besides that, the internal top tube cable routing looks quite modern, compared to the fork. Several things confuse me here. I dont see Pinarello Logos on the Seat tube Lug, too.

Whats your opinion about it? A 100% clear Montello? I guess so, or not?

IMG_4743.jpg

*** New pictures below ***

Cheers

If you like to take a look at some of my other builds too, here are links to my other current or former projects:

1983 Cinelli Supercorsa Donna (ultra rare):

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 5#p2872555

1979 Pinarello Record Special build-up:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 0#p2915150

I found this interesting thread:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=65248

The user "Old Firleleg" wrote sth interesting in post #15 which fits perfectly to my recent researches and my new frameset shown above:

[...] The earliest Montellos also came out with a Super Record Special or Super Star stickers. Probably the name Montello came only in 1985 when the world championship was held in Montello. I also have a very early Montello frame (I think from '84), even with Portacatena holes on right rear dropout. I saw only one other Montello with such dropout. And even the GPT logos was not applied to the lug by the seatpost pin binder bolt. But the BB shell with GPT logos and the internal rear brake cable routing show that it's a Montello. [...]

So far, I would say that this is a very very early Montello Model! (1984) with a pre 1983 fork even? Interesting.

Next Update! Parts such as Campagnolo Bottle, Super Record Crankset, Saddle (will be changed soon to Cinelli Volare SLX), Bottle Cage and Pinarello Panto Cinelli stem + Criterium handlebar.

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5829.jpg

See you next time!

Could do with some more pantographed parts which would make this build more special :)

Stem is pantographed. A panto chainring is already ordered and a pantographed seatpost will come as soon as I stumble over a bargain. What more?

Re:

Hi fguki,

I think I've seen this frame set put on sale. Beautiful metal burgundy colour, very very rare at Montellos. It was primarily used before the Montellos, and was deleted in '86 or 87, and only the chromovelato transparent burgundy remained. (My ca. '80 Pinarello Prestige had this color until the previous owner removed it).
In the advertisement I also saw the dissonance of the fork and frame. Certainly, the frame is the first-generation Montello (virgin seat lug will no longer be produced later). I do not know it came from the factory with this fork or later replaced it with the original. I have never seen such a combination before. But it's noteworthy that this color is visible on the fork as well. I do not know...
Did you check the SLX ribs of the seat tube inside the BB shell?

Congratulations on the renovation, it already seems a great end result!

Thank you! Ah its you old fireleg. I quoted you above, since I found your comments on another site about another Montello bike project! Great to meet you here! Cheers from germany!

Actually, my bike is a pretty "normal" bright metallic red over a fully chromed frame. Not really a burgundy - which I assume to be darker. I have not checked the seattube from the BB shell yet! I am still waiting for the proper vintage BB tools. The fork shaft, indeed has the proper SLX ribs. But someone told me that this is no hint of actually being a SLX frame since SLX tubes with ribs were used on most forks (?).

You mean this "burgundy" color here at post #147, right?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... llo-6.html

Unfortunately, its not. Its more like:

http://vintageveloberlin.de/bikes/pinar ... ig-rh56cm/

So, what you are saying is, that the fork might have been changed over the years? True! The fork has the same color as the frame has been painted - so I assume, they came out of the factory like this. Anyways, if my frame really does have the SLX ribs, I will cheer. Seems to be a pretty early and rare Montello.

What do you say? Is the bridgeless BB with the reinforcing triangles guaranteeing a Montello? Are there ANY other models, that carry that BB? Besides the very later early 90s Gavia with TSX tubes? I was always wondering if this could also be a Prestige - which I highly doubt so far.

Back