$ 15,000 Eddy Merckx Professional

man_and_machine

Dirt Disciple
I am not the owner of this ebay listing I only want to show it because it is striking. As far as I know this must be the highest priced vintage Merckx so far... The only one topping it to my knowledge was a cycle sold by Eddy himself to a Japanese party, for EUR 50.000. The latter was one of his own Giro and TdF machines, so pre-1980. The one for sale now is a Pista in 'show' condition, indeed a rare EM.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,729
Re:

Well it looks like the real thing and early track bikes are very rare. For collectors.

But he's selling this one as "very early", and I'm not too sure about that.

He says in the listing: "Bottom Bracket Serial #: A7 E929 "A" means that this was a "Professional" series track bike. "7" gives you the seat tube height as "57." "E" is for "Early Frames." The last number, "929" means that this was the 929th frame produced by Merckx. This production number places this track frame in the first batch of 1000 Eddy Merckx "Professional" track frames produced, delegating it to one of the rarest categories of collectible vintage bicycles."

However, the catalogues show that the very early EMs did have his signature engraved in the seat stays, not the company logo. Looking at his pictures this bike has the company logo there.

And stating that "E" means "Early frames" and '929" means from the first batch of 1000, is new to me.

It would be a very rare collectible if it would be an EM signature Track Professional (1980). The listed one could be made anywhere between 1981 and 1985.

Further a real fine cycle if you ask me (except indeed for the tires, lol).

Stamping E for 'early' sounds laughable to me...how did they know there would be later ones?

It strikes me more like a typical internet chancer. Asked price is not the same as sale price.
My scruffy Witcomb is worth £1000...is is you know. ;)

hamster":176d2keq said:
Stamping E for 'early' sounds laughable to me...how did they know there would be later ones?

It strikes me more like a typical internet chancer. Asked price is not the same as sale price.
My scruffy Witcomb is worth £1000...is is you know. ;)

Yes agree - it is one thing asking a certain price for something, quite another to see the actual price realised.

If you want a truly idiotic price, check this out: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinarello-ESPADA/182444217270
It has been on Ebay for two months now.

I recall a road bike used by Indurain during one of his Tour wins came up for auction near me, with a guide price of around £15k which was crazy - needless to say it never sold.

I do understand that bikes may well be worth good money, but when you get an asking price that would get you a very nice Ferrari car then you really have to think the seller is being a bit optimistic!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back