Cicli Diamant

Ken986s

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker but just registered tonight.

A friend has offered me a free frame but I haven’t heard of the maker before.

Cicli Diamant which appears to be from Belgium. Decals show it is Columbus tubes and forks.
I can’t find anything on the web about it. Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• E1B00343-7F98-4B3C-9BE0-3138F4BB4512.jpeg
    E1B00343-7F98-4B3C-9BE0-3138F4BB4512.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 87BC2510-A8A4-49CA-AD9C-4FFF08FB1DA0.jpeg
    87BC2510-A8A4-49CA-AD9C-4FFF08FB1DA0.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,082
Thanks for the link. Just got it home tonight. 52 cm approximately with Campagnolo drop outs and nice lug details . It’s too small for me but I might try to encourage my daughter to try it out.

Ken986s":24uq8ulv said:
Quick photo of lug details

Interesting! Those cut-outs have been identified before as being a trademark of Derycke-built frames. Bikes with these sometimes pop up as "faux-nagos".

I have one, and I'm sure the frame came from Belgium:

1k0.jpg

Looks like a Martelly frame. In which case it is quality.

Eddy Martens is a well known Belgian framebuilder who, in addition to selling frames under his own name, has built frames for a number of Belgian companies, including Diamant and Derycke

DSH":1woka6zh said:
Looks like a Martelly frame. In which case it is quality.

Eddy Martens is a well known Belgian framebuilder who, in addition to selling frames under his own name, has built frames for a number of Belgian companies, including Diamant and Derycke

Thanks for that. Interesting! That would fit in with what I think I know. Martens has stated in an interview that he built frames for Wout Verhoeven, a Dutch wholesaler who supplied non-branded frames from various Belgian builders to quite a few shops that would brand them as their own. Until now I had assumed that Derycke may also have been one of Verhoeven's suppliers, but this seems a more plausible explanation.

Piet Slikker, the owner of the Giovanni brand has confirmed to me that the orange frame pictured above in fact came from Verhoeven.

Back