Raleigh Banana - How to remove cable guide?

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Howdy folks :)

Newbie here, really looking forward to getting stuck in on the forum, learning lots and sharing as I embark on this journey.

So. I recently bought a Raleigh Banana, I have wanted one for a long time and found one at a bargain price and couldn't say no.

When I bought it I didn't know it came in various guises, so I have ended up with the 18-23 jobbie, still undeterred I have stripped it and about to send it off for powder coat and lavish it some love.

All has gone well until this cable guide, it appears to be riveted on? Any ideas on how to get this off please?

Here's some pics, what she was like when I got it and stripped as it is now.

Once its been tarted up and decals on I will have a million and one questions because I know nothing :LOL:

Cheers in advance :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for that cromoman :)

I have never tapped a thread before but I am sure I can source a nylon nut and bolt.

Cheers for the reply, I'll get the drill out :)

Re:

You can get a new cable guide with a pimple on it that sits in the hole or just pop a short screw in the original one to locate it.

That's really helpful too History Man, thanks a lot for that link :)

Well I got the dremel out and managed to get the rivet out so all is well. My only concern now is can they powder coat 2 colours and within an inch of one another and also where to specify the join as I want it coloured like the 753 version with Banana Energy Snack instead of its previous scheme just because I think it looks better with more yellow.

Hmm.. Cheers guys for your help, that was my last mod to do before its ready to drop off at the powder coaters :)

Take a long flat head screw driver and knock the inner head of the rivet off from inside the bottom bracket.

Its very easy and will only take 1 or 2 blows. Then you can prize the cable guide off. Once frame is painted you can pop it back in place. whats left of the rivet will hold it in place and then the cables will stop it going any where.

You don't need to tap and screw and it will still look original

If you want the flexibility of colour panels then not all powder coaters will do it. Might have to have it wet painted.

Cheers Maca all sorted now mate :)

I'll let you guys know what the powder coaters say tomorrow and what the damage is for 2 colours even if they can do such a thing.

Failing that maybe have it all done black and do the yellow myself with a rattle can? Not sure how hard that would be to do, never done it before.

Back