Help identifying a 1980s BSA please

McWBAsh

Retro Newbie
As the title says, could anyone supply a model and / or approximate age for my BSA please? I bought it at the start of Winter as a bad-weather commuter, and now the sun's returned I'm wondering what I've actually been pedalling around on over the last few months.

For reference I paid £25 for it; the only changes I've made are to put on a new pair of handlebars (the ones it came with were twisted) and pedals, replace the old dual brake levers, and fit a pair of Conti Ultrasport 2s in place of the cracked tyres it came on. Wheels are 27 inch.

There is a serial number on the BB, but unfortunately the cable guide's been stuck right over the top of it - it either ends or starts with a 6 or a 9.

Many thanks for any information.

Attachments

• bsa_1.jpg
    bsa_1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 358
Hi, I think this is an 85 / 86 machine. Not sure of the model name but BSA was owned by Raleigh. I have never seen a catalogue for this period and It could even have been an exclusive model made for a specific retailer or mail order catalogue that kind of thing ?

Thank you @marshalllucky. I've looked at (a lot of) Raleigh brouchures, etc online without finding any mention of this bike - didn't even think it might be a catalogue job.

FWIW the frame looks like standard Raleigh steel framing of that age (I had a Sun Solo a few years ago and from memory the frame fittings are pretty much identical), and the wheels are stamped Raleigh too.

No value to it presumably, but it's nice to ride with the wide wheels and steel frame. Spent a few hours on Friday cleaning all the winter grime off and servicing - even after a few months of winter commuting everything still works perfectly. Something to be said for old-fashioned simplicity.

Latest posts

Back