1930's component choices - Handlebars, brakes

slarge

Dirt Disciple
I have just acquired a 1938 Pollard tandem - 531 double butted frame, lots of decent parts, but it does seem to be a bit of a mishmash of a build (1938 frame, 1960's wheels, original chainset, different forks etc.

It was a track tandem, but I want to make it as period as possible but with road oriented parts - trouble is I know very little about the components and bikes of the 30's and 40's.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of decent spec 1930's or 1940's parts, or give me the names of component makers I should be looking out for?

I really want to change the bars (front and rear do not match, and the rear is quite mangled), and the brakes (which as it was a track tandem, it wouldn't have had any).

I intend to leave the rest of the bike pretty much as is - the paint is shabby but OK (it is 80 years old), and until I can find or make the original transfers in waterslide (not vinyl) no repainting will happen. The wheels are good (and old but not original), the stem, seatposts and saddles are either original or period looking. A bit of tlc with new (old) cables and leather bar tape should make it look brilliant for those summer runs.

Thanks

Re:

Thanks people, there's a wealth of info in those catalogues. They look a lot different to the ChainReaction website!!

Re:

Make sure you fit a drag brake on the rear wheel for better slowing down when decending . If it will take one
Mr Browns info here.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem-brakes.html
Tandem take more stopping than a solo . If you are going to ride a machine made track riding I would make sure you have its brakes are up to the mark .
Old brakes leave a lot to be desired imho . If you can find a set of Resilons that will fit they are the best period brake that will help stop you.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... story.html

They will not be cheap and the cable for the rear brakes are rare. Also check the clamp size .

Can well see some pictures of your machine?

Back