Another decal thread.

Marbo

Devout Dirtbag
I would always sing the praises of hlloyd for decals. But let's be honest, there are some projects that need decals, but you can't justify spending £30 on them. I have a couple atm.

I decided to make some myself. After some research into the ideal vinyl to use it occurred to me that after you've cut the decals what you have left is a stencil. Instead of using run of the mill craft vinyl, that will probably fade after not too long, I'm going to try and make stencils and paint on the graphics.

Apart from the above mentioned fading another benefit is that on my Quadra frame the lettering colour will match exactly with the frame colours.

I will let you know how I get on. That s when I get time and weather to do it.

First quick test done.

Tested on a piece of card. There are smears and some bleeding, but I took the stencil off when the paint was still wet.
But as a proof of concept it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20180323_171956043.jpg
    IMG_20180323_171956043.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 558
Re:

+1 for painting decals, I did this old Raleigh frame with spray paint and stickers. Sprayed pink first then used standard Raleigh vinyl decals from eBay, some sticky dots and some masking tape. Then oversprayed the whole lot with dark grey. Stickers peeled off clean then added head badge and union flag before lacquer over the top. Came up mint!
Here's a few photos, the Raleigh writing was about £5 and the heron and flag badges about another £5 so pretty good really.

https://flickr.com/photos/157053716@N06 ... 3036957811

Re: Re:

Southwestslacker1":18xt6b27 said:
+1 for painting decals, I did this old Raleigh frame with spray paint and stickers. Sprayed pink first then used standard Raleigh vinyl decals from eBay, some sticky dots and some masking tape. Then oversprayed the whole lot with dark grey. Stickers peeled off clean then added head badge and union flag before lacquer over the top. Came up mint!
Here's a few photos, the Raleigh writing was about £5 and the heron and flag badges about another £5 so pretty good really.

https://flickr.com/photos/157053716@N06 ... 3036957811

That looks really good. You did it the opposite way round to me. I'll try both ways and see which works best for me.
I have the luxury of cutting my own vinyl, so I can afford lots of trial and error,

Re:

Figured it was the best way round for the colours as the pink is on a white primer for brightness, if I'd painted it all grey to start the pink would have come up a lot duller.

Re: Re:

Southwestslacker1":mbm6guk7 said:
Figured it was the best way round for the colours as the pink is on a white primer for brightness, if I'd painted it all grey to start the pink would have come up a lot duller.
Was that a rattle can job or did you have some proper spraying equipment? It looks a really good finish from the photos, was this a first time attempt or did you have a bit of practice first?

Re:

It was a rattle can job, first time on a frame but not a total novice. The hardest bit was spacing all the sticky dots, there's quite a few there!

Re:

Just get Gil on here to do the decals for you.

Will be considerably cheaper than £30 for a single 'Raleigh' sticker.

Forum member gil_m - his business is The Cycle Shed - FB is @retrodecals.

He's a very longstanding member on here if you don't already know him [you mention H Lloyd for decals, so you may not] and he has many satisfied customers on here and elsewhere.

He will be able to match any colour requirements you have.

:)

The £30 is for the full sets Panasonic, banana etc.

Anyway I got myself a cutting machine, so it should be able to come up with something usable. But I will keep him in mind when I do my Panasonic, where I will need top notch.

For some projects painting is the best solution see below ...

************************/images/montello/blue/decals/painted-start.jpg

THis below is painted by hand;

************************/images/montello/blue/post-painting/down-tube.jpg

More details here:

************************/pinarello/my-b ... uild.shtml

Latest posts

Back