Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration

You werent kidding when you said you wanted to strip the bikes down. They're almost gonna be new old stock bikes when you guys get through with them. :)

Jumphigher":1rzra7i0 said:
You werent kidding when you said you wanted to strip the bikes down. They're almost gonna be new old stock bikes when you guys get through with them. :)

You're not wrong Jumphigher, that wasn't my intention at the start of this, but you know what it like when you peal back the layers!
Add to that the 6 week wait for the frames and Jimmy asking every weekend "whats the next job Dad?"

Today I answered, "bit of a sweep-up and clean some tools". the reply was utter silence, then he fired up the X-Box!

Attachments

• file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 507
During this renovation, I’ve been keeping in touch with Robert, the original owner of the Electron super five that Jimmy is now restoring. In the down time we have on this project I thought I might post some of the history Rob has supplied me;
Although we now know this frame was built in 1969, Rob bought this bike from new in 1971 with money he saved from his paper round in Cwmcarn, South Wales. I guess it took a little time for the frames to become bikes and then to be delivered across the country back in the day, and I could also imagine this pretty and colourful bike being a bit of front window “shop angel” for a while as well.
The bike shop on Newport Road was Jack Hatfield's a well-known local cyclist who was a Multi Welsh Grass & Track Champion, National Vet time trial record holder at 25 / 50 /100 miles. & for Cwmcarn Paragon cycling club a Multi Time Trial Champion & Place to place record tandem holder with Mel & Ted Carpenter.
Some of you may well be aware of the Cwmcarn Paragon Road Club, of which Jack Hatfield was a founding member, it still exists today http://cwmcarnparagon.com/history.htm
Cwmcarn is well known amongst the MTB gang as a centre of excellent trails and the area has a MTB centre and bike shop catering for the muddy mob. Rob made me laugh when he told me he used this Claud Butler with his chums to ride these very trails for free as a lad!
Attached are a few photos for fun, Rob looking a little too big for this 19.5” frame some time I guess in the late 70’s or early 80’s. A shot of Newport road with the shop in the distance, a copy of the Paragon Road club’s handbook and a Cwmcarn Paragon Road Club outing (to the pub).

Attachments

• paragons outing.jpg
    paragons outing.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 471
  • cwmcarn paragons book.JPG
    cwmcarn paragons book.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 471
  • cwmcarn old photo showing jack hatfield shop ver2.jpg
    cwmcarn old photo showing jack hatfield shop ver2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 471
  • robert.jpg
    robert.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 471
keithglos":3vqlry3x said:
Lacing a wheel in the professional way yours are is simplicity itself. Back in the 60s when I was a retailer one man business I sometime bought spokes more than 100 gross at a time, and many rims in case lots usually 25 pairs. I could insert the spokes loosely laced in a 40 hole cheap wheel in 3 minutes, a factory time would be 2.5 minutes so I wasn't that good.

Well Keith, I thought I would time myself lacing my wolber front wheel & unfortunately I could only manage 28 minuets! :oops: (I think I will stick to my day job) :facepalm:

Attachments

• file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 437
  • file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 437
Loving the thread so far and very impressed with the work ethic from your lad BUT To Jimmy looking after your tools and work space is just as important as the build itself don't let your dad do all the cleaning, my dad told me if you make a mess you clean it up and to look after your tools and they will look after you.

kingbling":3gilcplq said:
Loving the thread so far and very impressed with the work ethic from your lad BUT To Jimmy looking after your tools and work space is just as important as the build itself don't let your dad do all the cleaning, my dad told me if you make a mess you clean it up and to look after your tools and they will look after you.

Quite right Kingbling, Jim learnt the hard way that there isn't any such thing as an easy life....the wife got him helping with the laundry instead whilst I happily pottered in the workshop! :LOL:

As for the build, we are chomping at the bit, waiting for the frames and the chrome.
Current ETA is Friday the 6th of April.

Jamiedyer":2mnxzs5z said:
A great thread and always a good read when checking in for updates :)

Jamie
Thanks Jamie, Jimmy has his fingers crossed that we can get his into April's bike of the month! He's also suggeted you might make April a "60's bikes built by 11 year olds special"
I've told him to get on with his home work....

The BIG DAY has finaly arrived....yes the frames are here. I picked them up from Bob Jackson's in Leeds this afternoon.
I'm properly impressed with the finish, & thoroughly enjoyed watching Jimmy un-wrap them on my return home.

The build is back on! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• file2.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 306
  • file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 306
  • file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 306
Back