Elsie the elswick

You can remove rust from chrome by using aluminium tin foil dipped in water. just rub it over the forks and rims and they will come up much better. Like History Man says Kurust is good. I tend to put a coat of clear nail varnish over it for added protection. Once you have dealt with the rust you can give the frame a T Cut and finish off with a wax. be nice to fit a pair of drops on it and some decent mudguards. You should have a date stamp on the rear mech.

Cheers guys, I'll check out the rear mech when I get chance for a date stamp. Yeah it needs some drops, will have a look for some big ones, I wonder about the current ones as having done some digging about the history of this bike I think it's been in the state it is in for some considerable time (maybe stuck at back of a garage for a couple of decades), I've looked briefly at the bars and they seem to have logos stamped on the underside of the bar and some zig zag scratches on top, my wonder is maybe the original owner has flipped the original racing bars cut the drops off and moved the brakes but I could be talking twaddle, also might put a better saddle on if I can find something.

Just got home and popped out, had a cursery glance at rear end and can't find a date on the rear mech (although don't really know where I should be looking). Only stamp I can find is the one on the BB pictured. One thing I can see which I'll need to sort out(I think) is the rear wheel is set over to the one side in respect to the seat stays. The brakes however are centred to the wheel so I think whoever had this before has probably set it up wrong?

So after some more cleaning and sorting I've found the stamps on the bars are for sakae Road champion bars, I can only find these in drop versions so unless someone with more knowledge than me knows any different I think the previous owner has doctored his bars. Would be good to put road bars back on one day if I get on with the bike, I might hang fire until I know im comfortable with it before spending money on it.

Back