New Article Published: "Nimrod" cycle reviews from "Cycling"

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
I have published what I hope is the first installment of over 40 of "Nimrod's" reviews of lightweight cycles and components from "Cycling" magazine from the 1920s-1960s.

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2018/ ... cycle.html

Most of these came from the V-CC's invaluable on-line library (and reason enough for everyone to be a member of the V-CC!) and also thanks to Peter Jourdain for his scans from the 1930s.

Additions are, of course, welcome and I hope to add regularly to this compilation.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Attachments

• 1-edited file (15).jpg
    1-edited file (15).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 399
Very interesting Peter. I look forward to reading some more when you get the chance to add them.

I found the frame designs interesting, especially in the late 30's. You have the Royal Enfield Continental with 73/73 in Dec. '38 and the Armstrong Highway a month later with 70/70. The RE was obviously ahead of its time! In the 50's angles tended to be 73/71 and then 72/72, both of which I've always found to be a bit 'slack' for me. 73/73 was a mid/late 60's 'innovation' in my recollection - only 30 years to late!

The Royal Enfield "Continental" was a pukka job for its era and made instantly famous when Harry Hill rode one (famously shod with John Bull wired-on tyres not the usual tubulars) and broke the RRA 50-mile record in November 1938. But it was one of those "annoying" models with ONE frame size (22").

But yes, the angles were all over the shop. I personally never cared for the traditional (well for British machines) 73/71 and prefer parallel angles like the pre-war RRA with 71/71. And of course, none of it makes any sense to modern riders. But it worked... my '39 RRA flies and the rider position etc is exemplary once you get used to it.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Attachments

• 25 Jan 39.jpg
    25 Jan 39.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 278
Back