Changing Vintage Campag hub bearing cups

Re:

yes those are the tools but there are two versions one for oversized axle hubs and the other for std cups. the tools are not cheap. I have them in the shop along with all the spares needed. unless you are a shop owning these tools is not cost effective. even for me it has taken a good while for the tools to be paid off.

Re:

for the tools no as when I have told people the price before they change there minds about buying. so I dont hold them in stock. I just have the my own tools for the job (cyclus).

Re: Re:

bm0p700f":gmww1f4d said:
for the tools no as when I have told people the price before they change there minds about buying. so I dont hold them in stock. I just have the my own tools for the job (cyclus).

Shame you aren't a bit further North.
I suspect when postal costs are added in it will still be cheaper for me to buy the tool at £30-£40 than send you the wheel and have you do it. Though the only one I've found for sale online is in Holland! :(

I changed the bearing cups on a 1970s Record hub without using special tools.

It was a good few years back so can't recall exactly what I used, but I believe I simply used a length of brass or steel rod as a drift, put it in place down the centre of the hub, and whacked it carefully all around the periphery of the inside of the hardened steel cup, using a hammer. The end of the drift may well have been bent over slightly in order to make contact with the bearing cup. Getting the old one out is the hard part. Pressing in a new cup is easy enough.

Anyway, it worked fine, and the hub is still going strong.

Wheelnut":1vovo4ou said:
Getting the old one out is the hard part. Pressing in a new cup is easy enough.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the removal tool (all the way from Holland). Perhaps I'll sell it on, after I've sorted my hub.

Mercian cycles were a bit pricy for the new parts but were convient as a one stop shop. It would have been a lot cheaper to have had a modern hub built into the rim but that would be missing the point. :)

A bit late to the party but I've just removed the cups on a Record 95 hub. I borrowed from the method shown on bikeforums. I bought a bearing puller kit on ebay. Cost about £38. It worked out very well. You can see the method I used in the attached photos. I could have bought a cheaper set but I wanted to get both types of extractors, not just the slide hammer and I'm glad I did.

If anyone buys this kit then I found I needed to use the second size tool but couple it with the third sized threaded expander rod. With the number 2 expander rod it didn't expand the jaws wide enough before the thread bottomed out.

I used a bit of standard bathroom drainage pipe as support for the tool when assembled and it allowed me to use the threaded extractor. I found this much more smooth than using the slide hammer.

I'm not sure of the longevity of this kit as it looks to be of chinese origin even though it shipped from UK. The jaws are expanded and contracted with every use and over time it's possible that the metal will fatigue and crack. The Cyclus tool will possibly be more robust even though it looks to be a similar design. Having said that I would be surprised if I don't get 20 to 30 more uses out of the tool which will hopefully be more than I will ever need.

Attachments

• 07_Red.jpg
    07_Red.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 259
  • 06_Red.jpg
    06_Red.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 05_Red.jpg
    05_Red.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 04_Red.jpg
    04_Red.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 03_Red.jpg
    03_Red.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 02_Red.jpg
    02_Red.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 01_Red.jpg
    01_Red.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 259
thecub":3q2jnbqu said:
I bought a bearing puller kit on ebay. Cost about £38. It worked out very well.

Looks like you got a lot for your money with that set.
The Cyclus tool I ordered (around £38 too) arrived yesterday.
It does look well made and will no doubt last a life time give my likely rate of use. :)

I'm still waiting on the parts coming from Mercian.

Back