Changing Vintage Campag hub bearing cups

JLS

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone ever changed the steel ball bearing cup inside an old 1980's Record hub?

As a schoolboy racer in the early 80's I had a pair of Campag hubed track wheels. I used these on a road frame and to avoid "springing" the frame to suit the narrow rear track axle I was advised to put in a cheap longer axle (and cones). The cheap cones didn't run quite right with the campag bearings and cups and in the end damaged the bearing cups inside the hub. :( With it's orignal axle and cones back in, it runs, but not very smoothly. :(

I've still got these wheels and have previously been told it was techically possible to change the bearing cups. I saved another old hub as a cup doner but as yet have never attempted to make the switch.

Can it be done?

Great! So, it possible and doesn't even look *that* difficult.
Certainly worth having a go with the doner hub to see if I can salvage the cups.

Thanks very much for posting...

Yes, it can be done given the correct tools (Cyclus have them as stock items) and you should not need a donor hub, the spares are still available from the factory as they are the same as some of the later generation, non-oversize axle hubs ... Depending on where you are, your local ProShop should be able to obtain the parts for you through the wholesale network. We have them in stock in the UK at Velotech Cycling Ltd.

Further research...

39525765035_4ebdd93e59_o.jpg

It would appear that I can still get new parts from...
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/product- ... hubs-rims/

To refurbish my vintage Record Pista hub I'd need...

2xCampagnolo RH-PI107 cones
2xCampagnolo FH-RE005 cups
2xCampagnolo RH-PI010 dust covers

plus 1/4" bearings

Anyone care to comment?
Will these part references suit vintage Record as I expect...?

Seems like they would :) I guess the road and track cups are the same. I'd still "practice" on a spare hub first LOL

Re:

I actually have a tool to take them out and have done it several times, putting them back in with an ordinary bearing press.
I got it from an engineering friend who might of made it . Wouldn't want to lend the tool out but happy to pull and push races if anyone wants to send hubs, wheels down.

Maybe you could post a picture of the tool? I don't have any hubs that need the races changed, but I would be very interested in the tool!

Back