Top-end Components road bike 1992-1993

cmunozh

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

I have a marvelous specialized epic pro 1992 and I would like to update it like back-in-the-days, it means top-end components (at that time). I have two options so far but I like to know your thoughts. Always race-oriented.

Campagnolo Record (with delta brakes)
Shimano Dura-ace (ST-74xx)

Which one was the most trustful and/or if you know more groupsets, please let me know :)

Thanks in advance
cmunozh

Re:

C-Record /Delta is coming to an end in 92/93. Both the Campag and DA74XX are a great choice. You could look at Mavic 840 too. For any of the above you will need deep pockets though. Campag Record 8 speed starts ever so slightly later (93/94?) but has ergo levers, gunshot gear changes and will be easier to find

I'd look for Record or Chorus. It's bulletproof stuff, especially the shifters which can be dismantled and rebuilt completely, unlike Shimano. Parts are a few pounds only.
Chorus is every bit as good as Record, the differences are slight (you cannot tell riding them in my view) and the finish identical. It's down to bragging rights and the odd Titanium bolt here and there.

Thanks a lot for the insights.

The question that arises me the whole time is the compatibility with other components. I mention that because the idea I have (if that is not a Sinn), is to adapt it afterwards with two Specialized Du Pont trispoke wheels (version 1993-1994). As I mentioned I would want it race oriented (old school triathlons).

cmunozh":1emrc40f said:
Thanks a lot for the insights.

The question that arises me the whole time is the compatibility with other components. I mention that because the idea I have (if that is not a Sinn), is to adapt it afterwards with two Specialized Du Pont trispoke wheels (version 1993-1994). As I mentioned I would want it race oriented (old school triathlons).
I guess those wheels will be shimano fit, which theoretically limits you to shimano. I say theoretically, because shimano 7 speed is spaced identically to campag 8 @ 5mm pitch. So you could get a campag 8 speed grouppo and use a shimano 7 speed cassette and it will index (you'll lose a gear though)

Personal opinion only, but the original triathlon look wasn't a good one - a standard road bike with tri-bars on top somewhat spoils the lines.

pigman":1o5lh5iz said:
I guess those wheels will be shimano fit, which theoretically limits you to shimano. I say theoretically, because shimano 7 speed is spaced identically to campag 8 @ 5mm pitch. So you could get a campag 8 speed grouppo and use a shimano 7 speed cassette and it will index (you'll lose a gear though)

Personal opinion only, but the original triathlon look wasn't a good one - a standard road bike with tri-bars on top somewhat spoils the lines.

I didn't know that about the Campagnolo, thanks a lot :D

I agree with you with the "not so looking" old school triathlon bikes (for example the Specialized Transition Pro, year 1992). Anyway, I have seen the Epic Pro model at the 1993 catalogue (page 5) as well as in some google searches and it looks kind of good looking imho.

I would like to change between both configurations like "two pairs of shoes", one for daily use and one for competition.

Catalogue 1992:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... ries92.pdf

Catalogue 1993:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... ikes93.pdf

This is what you could call the STI/Ergopower era; in terms of operation, Shimano Dura-Ace (7400) or Campagnolo Record work equally well. I get the impression this was the time when Shimano started to take over on the road professional scene. They had yet to win the Tour de France but the pro teams were starting to use Dura-Ace more.
I fitted a full Record 8 speed system to my road bike of the time which was faultless; I have just fitted a pair of Dura-Ace 7400 8 speed STI levers to my commute bike and they work as if they are new.
Ultimately it is probably down to what you prefer looks wise.
Also it is worth bearing in mind you can still buy Campagnolo Record 8 speed cassettes new today!

SimonJC":ensrjxba said:
This is what you could call the STI/Ergopower era; in terms of operation, Shimano Dura-Ace (7400) or Campagnolo Record work equally well. I get the impression this was the time when Shimano started to take over on the road professional scene. They had yet to win the Tour de France but the pro teams were starting to use Dura-Ace more.
I fitted a full Record 8 speed system to my road bike of the time which was faultless; I have just fitted a pair of Dura-Ace 7400 8 speed STI levers to my commute bike and they work as if they are new.
Ultimately it is probably down to what you prefer looks wise.
Also it is worth bearing in mind you can still buy Campagnolo Record 8 speed cassettes new today!

The first Shimano win at the TdF was on 1999 with Armstrong (despite officially speaking those are erased from the books). During these years were Indurain, Bugno, Chiapucci, Pantanni, Riijs times, were all of them were wearing Campagnolo but Shimano was slowly taking over the Peloton. Now just the italian names wear Campagnolo... but's totally another topic.

Re:

Looking at those catalogues, you should be building with Dura Ace 7402. I have been harvesting a groupset for a future build. It is beautifully engineered and IMHO the anodised finish is superior to Campag of the era.

Re:

I decided then to go for a Dura-Ace groupset because of the "whole Story packet". The Specialized Epic Pro carbon is an american bike and it was built at that time with the DA. I think it would have been weird to nount it up with a Campagnolo groupset :| .

Now the question arises as the first/second generation of the 7400 groupset shifters are quite complicated to find in a "not-so-bad" Status and if yes, the prices are too much out of my budget. I found anyway some first Generation 7700 groupsets (first 7400 remodeling, year 1996/7), new, and the whole groupset w/o the seatpost at a quite aforable price :) .

Would do install those '96/'97 top-end components into a '92/'93 top-end bike and still thinking that your are not breaking the non-written rules of restoring? :roll:

Cheers,
cmunozh

Back