Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration

Morning History Man,
Yes, just like Jenolite, Rustins “converts” the rust particles into a black crust that is easily scrapped off or in the case of nooks and crevices where you can’t get to,it at least stops the rust in its tracks.. on the subject of being stopped in our tracks, I’m struggling to make my mind up about the next step;
1. Do I clean/stop the rusteded parts as best I can, build the bikes up in 6 weeks, then strip it all off again in September and get it all re-chromed over winter?
2. Just bite the bullet, get the rough parts into the chromers and build the bikes in 14 weeks time? So as not to run the risk of damaging the paintwork?

And in the interest of fairness;
https://www.jenolite.net/

Attachments

• A8CF6778-D0A3-46A4-ABA3-FE42227BEC35.png
    A8CF6778-D0A3-46A4-ABA3-FE42227BEC35.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 629
Hi mate
Looking at your parts I wouldn't have thought it was desperate for the rechroming. Have you tried the usual polishing and then the vinegar and tin foil to polish them to get rid of the rust? Some of these parts look like they would come up like new.
Have PM'd about the signature as well :)

Jamie

Hello Jamie,
Still no joy with the signature....
As for the chrome, the photo's do flatter whats there, but I would say about 10% needs nowt doing to it, about another 60% is cleaning up better than I'd hoped, leaving me with 30% that's about as rough as a badger arse!
However, looking at the calendar, if I crack on and put the bikes together when they come back from Bob Jackson, I should be able to get them on the road by mid April, giving us a good long summer for dry-ish riding.
If I wait for the chrome to get done, that means I might not be able to get them ready till the end of June (I've been quoted 12-16 weeks lead time)

So right now I'm leaning towards just getting them built as quick as I can, (the low res photos will still hopefully look great) then re-visit the chroming over winter.

So I learnt something new today; when you want to re-chrome some parts for your restoration project..DON'T just e-mail a photo of your parts for a quote, as you will get an overly conservative quote for both the cost and the lead time.
DO however go to and talk face to face regarding your requirements.
That's what I did this morning and after I had explained that I really didn't want every machine mark, dink and basically all the "History" of the bike painstakingly polished and buffed away, but instead just wanted the old chrome stripped, the rust removed then a nice new rust free layer of chrome applied, I got a quote at a third of the on-line price and a 5 week lead time rather than a 12 - 16 one!
I'm using these guys http://www.allenchrome.co.uk/services/nickel-chrome/
Had a chat with the boss David Allen, he understood exactly what I wanted.

Attachments

• CopperBike.PNG
    CopperBike.PNG
    139 KB · Views: 605
The History Man":kt4gw1uj said:
Is he missing a finger?

:facepalm: Silly :facepalm:

BTW History Man, I still can't work out how to add a signature!

Attachments

• WhatAmIDoingWrong.PNG
    WhatAmIDoingWrong.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 597
Hi History man and Chris
Great news about the chrome, that's a significant saving in both time and money.
The edit signature is pretty much where we have been already but doesn't have that option? I wondered whether you need to set one up in the overall board preferences before you can edit it. Have tried a few ways but the obvious ones don't seem to be working and it's been a long time since I set mine up.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1d83gwjd said:
The edit signature is pretty much where we have been already but doesn't have that option? I wondered whether you need to set one up in the overall board preferences before you can edit it. Have tried a few ways but the obvious ones don't seem to be working and it's been a long time since I set mine up.

Jamie

I just found the restrictions on signatures in the contact-FAQ list, It is restricted until 30 posts, I'm at 28 now.... :oops:

Back