Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Or may I should more accurately title this thread, "How to put together an OMAS-a-like-Franken-BB".

I have most of the parts I need to put together an OMAS type BB - I have OMAS left and right cups with the seals in place and in good condition, and the central sleeve also. I then have one bearing and one lockring, for the NDS. Getting a second bearing will be no problem as it's a 6903RS unit, and there are drive-side lockrings listed on ebay so that should also work.

All these parts will then fit around a no-name Ti spindle that I've had lying around for a while. However it seems to me that fitting the bearings onto the spindle isn't going to be completely straightforward. How much force should I expect to have to use? From what I could gauge while trying to hand-assemble last night, I will probably have to rest the bearing on top of the open jaws of a vice and hammer the spindle in place - is this normal?

Cheers,
Gareth.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

I would put the axle in the vice then use a socket for example as a sleeve and hammer on the bearing unless the jaws open up wide enough to put the axle in.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks, I'll give that a go tonight after I get home. The vice will open out wide enough for sure. I'll drop the spindle in the freezer for a couple of hours to see if that make a small difference.

kingbling wrote:
I would put the axle in the vice then use a socket for example as a sleeve and hammer on the bearing unless the jaws open up wide enough to put the axle in.