Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Okay, so it's often bandied about that high end Concorde frames from the 80s and 90s period were built by Ciocc.

However, it is almost as well known that Ciocc say this isn't true.

So who did make them? They were definitely made in Italy, but by whom? Billato, Pellizzoli? Come to that, did Ciocc themselves actually make their own frames or were they bought in, possibly from the same maker who supplied the Concorde Aquila and Squadra.

I have owned a Ciocc Designer 84 and a mid to late 80s Concorde Aquila and they appear identical, right down to the internal rear gear routing (apparently this was patented by Billato, but certainly used by others) and the same cloverleaf cutout under the bracket.

I have searched online, and there is plenty of guesswork and opinion, but no answers backed up by real knowledge, so can anyone on here shed some light on the subject?

Incidently, I have had two Aquilas but neither had a serial number, and never did have, which doesn't exactly help identification.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Roberto Billato I always thought.........Ciocc was just a front......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:32 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Nob wrote:
Roberto Billato I always thought.........Ciocc was just a front......

Me too.

But - didn't Billato always have their name engraved on the rear brake bridge?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Old Ned wrote:

No, they made most of the 'production' Greg Lemond steel frames (before he sold the brand) and they had Greg's signature on the brake bridge.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:13 am 
Dirt Disciple

Is this of photo of interest? , If Concorde were made by Ciocc and Concordes were used by the PDM team.... here is a photo of a stock Ciocc frame in PDM colours from a 1989 edition of `cycling`.

Attachments:
cioccPDM.jpg
cioccPDM.jpg [ 298.28 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
Retro Guru

The frame in the picture is identical to the Ciocc that I once owned! Same PDM colours, but tubing was SL on mine, not SLX. I only sold it when I bought a Colnago Master Olympic - but soon after, the Master was stolen, so regretted selling the Ciocc.

There is fairly solid information from 'a source close to Billato' that Billato made the frames used by a big Dutch team in the '80s, presumably PDM. I have also heard, but only rumours, that after Pelizzoli sold the Ciocc brand, the new owners bought in frames from Billato. So it seems very likely that Billato made identical top end frames for both Ciocc and Concorde (amongst many other top names), hence the connection.

But, in truth, all this may be just smoke and mirrors, and there is certainly a lot of duff information flying about on the web. There seems to be very little solid evidence. Which is strange, bearing in mind the wealth of good solid information regarding British frames from a much earlier period.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

NeilM wrote:
Old Ned wrote:

No, they made most of the 'production' Greg Lemond steel frames (before he sold the brand) and they had Greg's signature on the brake bridge.

All 5 of my Billato builts have a bridge that looks like this with engraving variations:

This one on my Lemond GLX Gan bike is "backwards" compared to all the others I've seen:

There's also been discussions about "Silv" on the bottom being the name of one of Billato brothers but it's just the manufacturer of various lugged components.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Yes, the high end Concorde and Ciocc frames also use the same brake bridge casting with engravings. It is likely that these die-castings are from a proprietory source, not exclusive to Billato, but bought in, probably from the same supplier as the lugsets.

Very nice collection you have there, BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm 

Concorde frames were defiantly made by Billato , In 2000 British cycling bought road frames from them for the world class performance plan and I visited the factory with Doug Daily to go through the specs , Roberto spends a lot of his time in China overseeing projects for various brands , I visited pelizolli some years ago he confirmed he had sold the brand but he still seamed pretty busy to me . I hope this helps .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 pm 
Retro Guru

It certainly does help.

That confirms what many of us thought, and scotches the misinformation about these frames being built by CIOCC.

Many thanks!