Unusual Eddy Merckx

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have come by this rather unusual Eddy Merckx frame.

Frame Number is:
F

Which makes it a 1996.

The drop out shape, tube sizes, seat stays and head tube cable guides suggest it is a Corsa 01 or a Strada OS. It's badged as an MX Leader.

However the top tube cable routing is unlike any Merckx frame I can find on the internet.
The fork, seat stay bridge, drop outs and BB shell are all branded Eddy Merckx.

Does anyone know any more?

tn_76aa1b12-cc14-4166-9e61-f960347c47d6.jpg

tn_8ea322f2-9cf4-401b-bed5-55aeb52b0bcf.jpg

My 1992 Corsa Extra has internal routing, with the diamond shaped tube inserts and the cable exits on the top of the top tube. This is very different.

By 'at a later stage' do you mean by an aftermarket frame builder?

Yes I have come across a few aftermarket adaptions on frames, my brother has a Mondia with internal cable routing but the frameset is from the mid 70s.

Okay, thanks for that. Makes sense.

I'm not too hung up about which model it is. It's a Merckx, probably a Corsa 01 or a Strada OS.

Merckx frames have a lot of variations, and I have no idea what the original colour was under the inch thick burgundy paint on this one, so it's the perfect base for the Motorola frame that I have hankered after since I was 15. :)

I love that deep burgundy colour... might just use that in future.

Stick Legs":193fbpqt said:
Merckx frames have a lot of variations, and I have no idea what the original colour was under the inch thick burgundy paint on this one, so it's the perfect base for the Motorola frame that I have hankered after since I was 15. :)
I was about to ask if the frame had been refinished, because the paint looks very thick on the fork crown. I don't know EM frames/models but I think it's possible the cable routing may have been altered before the repaint.

It has definitely been repainted. It's got runs in places!!!

It's off to Argos to get the Motorola scheme at some point later this year...

I may get them to re-instate the correct top tube cable routing too, or even have a custom job done so the rear brake cable enters the right hand side of the top tube which would be the right way round for 'English' brakes!

Merckx Always used internal routing in top tube in that age. Not like this however. I'm pretty sure this wasn't done after market. Are you sure the frame is Merckx? It could be married with the fork, which looks MX Leader. Please show a pic of the bottom bracket and an overal pic of the set, tnx.

Back