Holdsworth Frame Numbers

I was out by 2 years :( Stuff tended to hit the shops and land in the real world later lol. One of the problems with frame number and sale dates / invoices is how long they took to be sold.

It was my job to polish the frames hanging up in the shop at Cliff Pratt Cycles... I polished a few for a good number of years before they were sold......

I suppose the next question would be the color scheme for the repainted? Traditional orange with the blue panels or something else. I read a reference to some early team bikes being green but no idea if correct whe that might have been. Thoughts?

T120XX

Hi all,

Looking at a frame advertised with this frame number quoted. The paint is awful!! No pics of the number only real clues are curved rear brake arch but has what appears to be hexagonal flats fixed to it. The strap is wide but thin over the seat lug. Lugs are spearpoint type It is fitted with Italia style forks. Braze on fittings for mudguards on dropouts and a dot on the down tube for band on g/levers.

Thoughts please all

Gus

Re: my other Holdsworth 006674

Hi all,

Just finished my other bike 006674 frame and forks with matching numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 419
Hello all,
I’ve finally got to the end of this thread…Phew! Quite a marathon!
I’m not sure if you are compiling a list of Claud Butler badged Holdsworth frames, but here are 2 that myself and my son are currently working on; viewtopic.php?f=12&t=379996
The Yellow electron super five has the frame number 56748 and according to the http://www.nkilgariff.com/ bible, 1969 is the only year it was advertised in Canary Yellow. All the kit matches and according to the guy I bought it from this is all original since he bought it as a boy in '70 '71.
The Blue Majestic frame number 058569 is I believe from 1984. Again, the source of this possibly misplaced confidence springs from http://www.nkilgariff.com/ ‘82 to ’84 had the Super Champion Mod 58 rims ’84 & '85 had the blue pearl paint. I’m not sure about 1983 as that catalogue is missing. However during the strip down I found 1984 stamped on the GB stem, that’ll do for me.

On another note, will the list as it stands be added to the nkilgariff page?

Attachments

• 058569.jpg
    058569.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 1984Majestic.jpg
    1984Majestic.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 56748.jpeg
    56748.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 1969ElectronS5.jpg
    1969ElectronS5.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Claud Butler Majestic 1984 a.jpeg
    Claud Butler Majestic 1984 a.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 162
Thanks, Its the 6 digit blue frame that is of interest as this one is part of the Holdsworth system. It looks like 1984 from my predictions, i think you have gone about this the right way by looking at the frame ID first and then the date stamp adds confidence. I think the other number will be of interest to CB fans.

dwscrimshaw":2x0qrg9l said:
Thanks, Its the 6 digit blue frame that is of interest as this one is part of the Holdsworth system. It looks like 1984 from my predictions, i think you have gone about this the right way by looking at the frame ID first and then the date stamp adds confidence. I think the other number will be of interest to CB fans.

So is the Prugnat tubed '69 Electron not a Holdsworth frame?

Prior to the start of the 6D numbers, starting with '0', in 1976 Holdsworth and CB ran different numbering systems. I am more familiar with the Holdsworth 5D system which got to ~44000 before the 6D numbers started therefore you Electron has a CB number. I am sure other will contribute to this thread with info on the CB system.

CBguy":2zjxu7ok said:
Hi Satdog,

Agree with Dave pictures would be great and any original documents even better.

I should qualify "I'm no Claud Butler expert". The letters CB in CBguy actually come from the place in Nova Scotia that I hail from. Dumb move.

Dave is correct, between '76 and '85 the Holdsworthy company lumped all their Holdsworth and Claud Butler models together in a sequential six digit number system always beginning with o(s). Before take over of Claud Butler in '57 and until 76 Clauds had been numbered separately. Many of the Holdsworth Clauds were simply clones of Holdsworth Models at least in early years.

Looking at catalogues on Kilgariff's site, like yourself, I don't see a Claud model that is equivalent to or the caliber of the Holdsworth Pro - in '78 the top model built with 531SL with 74deg angles and chrome ends. Is there a model name on your frame?

In chasing the numbers it has come to light that Holdsworth built "specials" for other shops that were numbered differently in the earlier years but with the new system all frames were in the same system. The shop in Dublin possibly ordered your frame as a "special" build, requesting a top end road frame, but specifying the Claud Butler brand rather than Holdsworth. Interesting if you know any of these details.

Post takeover Clauds sometimes get a bad rap as not "real clauds" but you obviously have an excellent quality and unique frame.

Perhaps somebody with more experience re this model Claud will have more to add. Pictures would be good.

Doug Allen

I read this from CBguy way back in this thread and wondered if if this "56748" might be part of the batch of 50000's missing from your list?
There does seem to be a black hole regarding available information for these 5 digit, post 1957 - pre 1976 CB/Holdsworths, I'm pretty sure this number (5674:cool: doesn't use the old pre '56 CB system.

Back