Raleigh Equipe

Craigus Farticus

Dirt Disciple
Hi all! Thanks for the add. :D

I have been riding a relatively modern aluminium framed hybrid into work, a Carerra Gryphon on 23mm tyres to ride the 34 mile round trip to work and back. I recently decided to go back to a racing style bike. :)

Last week I bought a mid/late 1980s Raleigh Equipe that looks to be in great condition with the all original parts (apart from the tyres). The 700c wheels and even the leather inserted brake blocks are Raleigh!

I am looking to make the bike period correct. I am looking, please for the original specification. The WWW doesn't appear to give me the hard facts. I need to confirm the correct gear ratios, tyre type (28mm Shwable fitted) and I am looking for a period correct water bottle. I guess that the tyres would have been brown walled?

I have just bought a set of original 1980s brand new old stock Ever Ready lamps. Looking for period correct (or correct looking) mud guards.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't spend too much on it. The Equipe was pretty much their bottom of the range frame. The problem is even the lower end equipment will cost quite a bit to replace.

Be good to see some pics.

Would have been a 10 speed bike prob 12 or 14 up to 23.

Tyres would have been 700 x 23 or 25c and yes would have been gum wall.

Re:

Thanks Jonny and Maca. Will change the tyres and fix my newly bought 1980s NOS Exide 2000 lamps. :)

I've attacked a pic taken when I bought the bike.

Attachments

• Raleigh.jpg
    Raleigh.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 527
Yep, a lot of those '80s Raleighs are pretty heavy, low spec things. I had a 1993 Pro Race 501 for a bit, and it was really nothing special at all - plastic everything, Weinmann brakes, generic unbranded Shimano mechs. Looked nice, but that was about it. Also the sizing on those things is useless as they only came in 21, 23.5" and 25".
I ride 22" in road...

That said, they always ride nicely and are comfortable with good handling. It's hard to go wrong with one as a beater!

Re:

Didn't want to spend more than £100 on a bike and find that I'm too broken to ride in the dropped position. lol

I bought a pair of Shwalbe racing tyres today that have the retro gum walled look. Couldn't find any decent gum walled tyres in the older style. Only cheap crappy versions that'd have NO grip whatsoever. :)

If I get on with the Raleigh, I'll most likely invest in a decent racer with some pedigree at the £330 - £400 mark.

Back