Mercian frame no 68360

Re:

Yeah it'd be a shame to repaint that, although I understand the temptation, having myself failed to resist it more than once.. If you ask me, a pair of Mafac stirrups and you're about done.. :)

Nice fork bend, my favourite kind, straight until halfway down, and then like the start of an exponential curve. Aesthetically I don't like forks that bend all the way down, (not many do that) or ones that go straight, bend, and then straighten out again, partially or completely, down to the dropouts (many do that)..

I agree - it's rather nice patina. Put Kurust into the bottom of any scratches with a fine brush, then a good polish with a couple of coats of wax and I bet it will look lovely!

I think the danger is something flashy and over-restored.

Thought Id update this as its a great story, received a message on FB from Steve Aldridge, the chap who's name is on the top tube. Steve had sold the bike in 1971 before moving to America to be the national cycle team mechanic. He did that for 20 years before working in a bike shop for another 20. He's now retired and living in California. I've now agreed to sell the frame back to him and he's planning to ride eroica California on it. I'm hoping to find another, 70s or 80s frame to replace it.

It was as I found it. I don't know if he plans to restore it, it is in incredibly good condition, if it had been repainted at any point in the 47 years since he sold it he would never of found it. He's going to keep me updated.

Re:

That is such a nice thing to do. Karma will surely deliver you a nice replacement

Re:

Won a 1974 Mercian Olympic in flam lime on eBay tonight, I'm a few quid up too so happy days. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 362
Back