Is this a Raleigh Road Ace?

fleshtuxedo

Retro Guru
Found this at a local recycling establishment and decided to take matters into my own hands....

24890625887_b670d04f2b.jpg

I suspect it's a late 80s Raleigh Road Ace - the shot in seatstays and sloping crown in particular look right. Frame no. is WA5008360 so that's Raleigh Worksop/Nottingham isn't it? Dropouts are Gipiemme which matches, as do all the brazings. It's been resprayed of course.

Weight is 1930g frame, 720g forks, it's a largish 59cm c-t/57cmc-c

Any confirmation/correction from the Raleigh experts welcome! I'm intending to sell it as too big for me.

Flickr link here, more pics if that helps
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42523160@ ... ed-public/

Its an 85 by the frame number, so prob a 531c frame. May have been in team colours once or a Road ace as you say.

Re:

Thanks both. Road Ace in 85 was the one with 600AX on it and hence gear lever mount on top of down tube so I think that's ruled out, so it looks like it must be a Team Replica (Weinmann/Panasonic) or a Professional as you say.

The Road Ace in 84 had 600AX and top mounted levers but the 85 catalogue shows the Road Ace as 600EX (std levers). This has Gipiemme ends, Prugnat lugs and shot in stays so it matches the Team Replica, Road Ace and Competition. They probably all used exactly the same frame so model was determined by components.

The Competition in 85 had full chrome fork.

There doesn't look like there is much meat left on those rear ends where those holes have been drilled.

Even with the extra holes in the dropouts and dent I'm tempted.......would be a mate for my 1983 Raleigh in the garage, hidden by cardboard lol

96gjnq.jpg

Back