Frame maker ID please

gb_

Dirt Disciple
This is a high quality frame with many similarities to high end carlton/Raleigh frame sets but the number doesn't fit. The number is stamped in quite a distinctive place between the rear stays where they meet the bb. Please see the photo. Does anyone know which frame builders did or do not use letters and stamp in this location on the bb? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• nukber  1.jpg
    nukber 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 740
Doesn't ring a bell. Any more pics? Raleigh tended to use a plastic under BB guide and not brazed on tunnels?

Re:

Thanks for the reply. More photos here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The shop I bought it from said the original owner called it his Carlton. It came with a Campagnolo record headset and gear levers attached. I believe the rear drop outs are 80s Campagnolo??

The only well known builder I could find that doesn't use letters is Bob jackson and there is one pic online of a Bob Jackson bb stamped near the centre of the rear stays position but the digits were bigger. Please see picture

Attachments

• bob serial 1.jpg
    bob serial 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 723
Carlton would have the typical W for Worksop number if 80's......even if it was made in Nottingham.

Yep, this one has me stumped but the only thing to go on is the positioning of the serial which is quite deliberately placed centrally in between the rear stays.

Any pics of the seat stay cluster, lugs, dropouts etc? By 80's dropout did you mean for the Portacatena. I guess the shell is 68mm standard UK

Brilliant thanks for your time on this, I will have a look now. I had the same thought about the stamp being simply moved due to the cable guides.
I have checked the headset, rear drop outs, gear levers and lever bosses as being late 70's to mid 80s Campagnolo Nuovo Record.

Thanks, I will now contact Bob jackson and see if I get a reply and update asap

Update:
I contacted BJ and they have supplied me with a laminated job card for the frame with loads of details for the order. This service was £25.

The bike was a private order through another bike shop in York in 1985.

Thanks for your help, very pleased with the result and the rebuild is looking good. but not completed yet.

Back