Graham Weigh titanium frame?

neilob":243vfsr7 said:
FWIW I have built the frame up into a bike and took it on a 100km ride today. It was really comfy and handled well. I am not skilled enough to recognise the subtle qualities of titanium but it was still a very nice surprise. Now just what do I do with it?? I would love to know more history though.....

What to do? Take loads of photos and stick em on here! Also see if you can find a frame number

neilob":1ws52sjz said:
Thanks for the info. I understood that the frames were supplied to a team and have seen a photo of Chris Boardman in Manchester Wheelers colours riding what appears to be a Weigh titanium. Anyone know of this?
Have a word with Chris he's very approachable he should be able to tell you the machines he rode

Little Al":5g75g5ym said:
neilob":5g75g5ym said:
Thanks for the info. I understood that the frames were supplied to a team and have seen a photo of Chris Boardman in Manchester Wheelers colours riding what appears to be a Weigh titanium. Anyone know of this?
Have a word with Chris he's very approachable he should be able to tell you the machines he rode
How do I do that?

Re:

Hi,

I don't know if this'll add much to you quest for info on this frameset, but I've taken to randomly buying copies of 1996 Cycling Weekly's on eBay (if they're cheap enough!) in the hope of stumbling across a bike test I'm interested in reading about a Raleigh Titanium frameset.

Anyhow :D , one of the mags had an in-depth article about Chris's 1996 Merckx steel road bike which he had been riding in the early part of the season for training, prior to switching to his titanium bike for the season proper.

The thing that struck a chord with your search was that the Merckx was an odd size built to suit Boardman's riding style, it had a 54cm seat tube and a 59cm top tube and the article implies that the Ti bike was of the same geometry.

If I recall the ebay add for your frameset correctly, it too listed unusual measurements with a long top tube compared to seat tube length?.

Don't know if it'll help much but it seemed like a nice coincidence to me.

Matt

Re:

Very interesting Matt, thanks. I would love a scan of that article if possible? Thanks to forum member ‘beenatitforyears’ I have established that the frame was made by Paul Donohue in or around 1996. There is no hard evidence of it being destined for a race team however the geometry is aggressive and clearance tight. I have tried to get some info from Chris Boardman and await a reply. I am currently renovating the frame and have had it stripped and fitted Donohue decals. I will post a pic when it is done. By the way, I had a Raleigh titanium frame back in the day....the one with the fat down tube. I regret letting it go.

Re:

Hmmm, a scan sounds a lot like it might be beyond my technical abilities :( , but I'm happy to take a couple of photos and email them across if you PM me your address.

Matt

Latest posts

Back