How do SBDU frames compare?

originalshinkicker":22c2e9sw said:
The H ref system appears to have stopped at the end of 1979. The last frame I've seen with an H up to this point is SB3177.

From the bikes I've seen in the 1979 period, every other frame had an H ref, so it looks like it was dropped from the start of 1980.

The SBDU built custom frames, that could mean geometry, it could be things like brake drop and clearance or it could be something you can't see such as tube gauge. If you are buying an SB frame then you are almost certainly buying a frame built for someone else's body shape, riding style and the type of event they were riding.

Seat tube length seems to be the main measurement people use to buy a frame but there are so many other things that need to be checked. I've bought several SB frames that have short top tubes when compared to seat tube length - that is great for me as I like a shorter bike but that probably won't suit most people.

If you have a 50th group to hang off a frame then you also have other things to consider such as seat pin size (type of tubing and gauge), front derailleur type and brake drop/clearance.

Ok thanks for the info

For an SBDU build, I'd need to change the bottom bracket and headset as the group is ITA threaded. I'd definitely have those in my stock and I don't think that they are 50th specific are they? I hadn't thought about the seat pin TBH (mine is a 27.2). I haven't measured the brakes yet, I think they are a Piccolo format.

I have the original Pinarello frame it was built with but it's a bit too far gone for me - there is excessive bubbling on the chrome so it would need a lot of work/money to put right.

I'm in no rush, I've still got some work to do to clean up the groupset as the chrome has suffered like it had on your Denton

Yep, the 50th group has a std Nuovo Record BB and Super Record headset so just swap them out for British threading. If you have a 27.2 seat pin then you are looking for a later 1982+ 753R or any 531DB/531c frame.

I'm a child of the 70's :) E G Bates would supply SBDU frames "off the shelf" in various sizes. £155 for a 753 with a 16 week wait LOL

2rr44ts.jpg

Midlife":2akjmmt9 said:
I'm a child of the 70's :) E G Bates would supply SBDU frames "off the shelf" in various sizes. £155 for a 753 with a 16 week wait LOL

2rr44ts.jpg

Bargain!

I had a 953 frame built last year - waiting time was 8 months...

Back