Lamborghini Titanium road bike

Built by the Speedwell Gear Company in Birmingham in the early to mid 1970s. Considered the first production titanium bicycle. Some were sold through Lamborghini dealers, presumably as their advanced style and material was supposed to compliment the cars. Bike shops sold them too but as they were expensive and a bit of an unknown to traditional cyclists, they appeared difficult to move. Beryl Burton was reputed to race one and journalist Roger St. Pierre wrote about them. One was supplied to Luis Ocana to ride in the mountain stages in the 1973 T de F, which he won.Beautiful frames but a bit whippy to ride for a heavy or strong rider. Available in unpainted titanium finish or painted black.
I would not get too carried away on the value. In nice condition and with appropriate components I think you would top out at about £1200/1500. Maybe the Lambo ones might be more if they have special numbers and provenance.
The standard serial numbers can be used to date the frame but you have to read them backwards !
If you search this Forum you will find other posts and information.

I have a 1978 Speedwell. I didn't know that the ones given away by Lambo had different markings. Mine is not the stiffest bike in the world but as I am no racer I find it very comfortable. Tried to sell it on ebay last year and didn't get one bid.

Back