1948 Evelyn Hamilton

VeloFellow54":gryd4egr said:
Do you have a frame number for this EH. I ask as I am trying to establish what the frame number sequence was. Mine has 2 numbers on both the bottom bracket and fork tube. I have a suspicion that one was applied by the maker of the frame (maybe Holmes of Welling ? ) the other by the shop

Numbers are : 626 (makers number ?) & 444 (EH number ?) Pure conjecture this but I am aware of another frame of similar date to mine which carries a much higher number (over 1000) which would indicate production of over 250 frames p a which makes no sense. Had there been that many E Hamilton / Lorraine Cycles sold there would be far more still out there.

Thanks - That would be most welcome. I talked to someone yesterday who had met her - but could not add anything to the story.
I plan to restore the machine that I have but am struggling to establish the original design of the decals. I have the down tube decal as I know of two other frames bearing originals but the seat tube decal (if there was one) is another matter.

Any information on this intrepid lady would be most welcome.

I now date my machine to 1951 - which is quite late for a frame like this with clip type headset. It may be that the frame was hanging around in the shop for a couple of years before being built up. Does your frame carry any other numbers, either on the BB of fork tube (smaller size than 923 ?)
Thanks, Steve

Still having no success in getting hold of decent photos of decals for my EH. All I need is a couple of good quality photos with dimensions then I can get a professional to re create the designs and they will be available to all at normal prices from H Lloyd. Surely someone out there can help ?
I

I now have access to photos of intact original decals thanks to the efforts of another VCC member who has kindly photographed them for me. There is still a little more to be done but I anticipate arranging for an artist to reproduce them some time by May. I will then get the decals reproduced. I have seen the down tube decal in 2 colour ways so far. Yellow with a black key line and red with a black keyline (will use process yellow and red 185). If anyone is interested in obtaining any of these, let me know. I plan to use the red/black version on my machine but I feel certain that Steve at Lloyds will produce them in other colours also.
I have enough here already to get the 'Cross of Lorraine' head/seat tube decal done so these should eventually be available also.
To get an idea of what is possible, check another thread of mine on here - F H Grubb decals.

This was published in the 21st January 1948 copy of 'Cycling'. It appears that it contains extracts from an article from 'The National Journal' (maybe worth seeking out the original article). Much has been written about Evelyn Hamilton's exploits during WW2 ; stories of shooting Gestapo officers and riding around Paris with RAF escapees on a tandem. Tall stories perhaps ? This article appears to clarify exactly what her role was. I consider it highly unlikely that this would have been published without the veracity of the story being established. If it is all true then all I can say is that she must have been an extremely intrepid and gallant lady !

Attachments

• CYCLING 21.1.48.1.jpg
    CYCLING 21.1.48.1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 411
We really have little idea of how much these people risked on our behalf. The just stepped up and saw it as 'doing their bit'.

Wonderful to read.

Evelyn Hamilton - WW2 Exploits - Authentic ?

I have checked the records of the SOE for Evelyn Hamilton as if she was parachuting into occupied France during WW2 her name would be expected to be in their archives. However, I have found nothing. I have also looked for 'The National Journal' (this being the source for the article in 'Cycling') and cannot find any record of this at all. Strange. I wonder if any of the stories of Evelyn Hamilton's wartime exploits are actually true ?
Can anyone substantiate any of this ?

Back