Any ideas on this old beast?

Re:

The head lugs should have loose inserted bearing cups. The usual head clip was 31/32 inch with a thread 54 tpi from memory.
Yours looks like 1 inch x 24 tpi. It could have had a screwed top race with a very shallow head clip.
Do not spend on this until you have found (or made) a headset.

The gear lever boss is probably Simplex, Cyclo had a finer thread, so you might be able to tell.

Does the frame number/letter possibly designate year?

Possibly research Australian frame builders?

Keith

Re: clip headset!

Well, having scoured the usual sources it looks as though such a bolted headset is quite rare now, I remember having an oversize one years ago on an old tandem frame.

Does anyone know where I could get the 1" version, or have one to sell me?

Re:

Frame weight now the black gloss is mostly gone is 2.2 kilos. Seatpost size is 27.2 I think it was intended for 26" wheels but takes 700c fine.

You've just got to watch eBay for clip headsets. They're quite expensive for a matching set. I made mine up out of a good head clip and used a roadster headset for the head tube races, crown race and top nut because the threads are the same. Best thing to do is put a vernier over the threads and if it's about 24mm then it's 31/32".

Re:

Okay, thanks, will do. No sign of anything art he moment.

Anyway thanks for all the info guys, I feel I've made progress on its provenance and also know the next step is a workable headset!

Re:

Just a quick update, I managed to use a stronglight headset with cartridge rollers to get round the clip style scarcity problem.
I'm now ready to take the frame for a tidy up and colour-in.

I was thinking of going to C & G finishers in Liverpool. Mainly cos they are quite nearby me. Any views on them as stove enamellers?

Back