1949 FH Grubb....I hope.

Re:

Incredible. Thank you so much for your advice! The bike shop has already tried to get the free wheels off and turning it in the vice or whatever they did just meant more spokes pinging. I'll definitely follow your advice at home though. I'll try to save what I can. The brake levers are super hoods yes, one is perfectly functioning. The other has had the adjuster broken off on the top and bottom so it just has thread holding the adjuster wheel frozen in, will probably need drilling out and try to source a brass adjuster, or a pair of matching replacements.

Probably be easier to find a new lever than just the adjuster for it. They turn up regularly as they were standard on many machines through the 50's. As to the freewheel, put some heat on it until the grease/oil boils/bubbles then try in a vice - it should move. I always use copper base grease smeared on the threads of freewheels when replacing them.
It is an interesting frame as it really does straddle the period between the demise of Grubb proper and the reincarnation by Holdsworth - adding that Holdsworth always viewed the Grubb range as 'budget' machines.

Re:

This is now for sale! Gumtree link on the 'ebay and gumtree watch' section. Also on ebay just to get a wider audience but happy for somebody on here or gumtree to make me an offer.

Hi guys, So sorry for my bad english .
Im from Brazil.
I have one bicycle that went of my grandfather.
On frame also have wrote "Brevet Deff", but i didnt find documentation of bicycle.
Are you can help me ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.52.57 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.52.57 PM.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.53.46 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.53.46 PM.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.54.23 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.54.23 PM.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 311
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.55.14 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.55.14 PM.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.55.50 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 4.55.50 PM.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 311
Hi Rodrigo
Don't worry your English is fine. The words on the bottom bracket of your frame are unknown to me except 'BREVET' this is the French or Italian (French is Brevette - Italian is Brevetto) word for 'patent' - in Portuguese it is 'patente' So your bike looks to be French or Italian perhaps. It has a French Huret gear shifter from the 1950's. Could you take some close up photos of the frame and the wheel hubs and maybe other details and post them here ? Maybe we will be able to identify your bike.
Steve

Brevet is definatly the French word for Patent (I have no idea what language Brevette is)

Just noticed all the Claud Butlers. I have a few also. I just had to get artwork done for a decal for my 1958/9 Cordon Bleu as to my amazement the correct one was not available. Most restored frames from 1958 - 60 ish have the wrong decals on them !
Assume that you have a few being restored right now ? I have a 51 Massed Start being restored (the most expensive frame in the catalogue at the time) and I regularly ride a 1948 International Club.

Good Morning.
Thank you for help me, guys.
Yesterday the night, i took photos of bicycle, and found a web site with articles about FH Grubb.
The web site that said........http://www.nkilgariff.com/FreddieGrubb.htm.
I,m anxious for restore the bicycle in your fabrication model, but didnt yet found nothing..Help Me :cry:
I still have not found the company that manufactured the bike to get the original documentation for restore her.

Attachments

• Cube-France.JPG
    Cube-France.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 274
  • cube-side.JPG
    cube-side.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Gear-Rear-SC.JPG
    Gear-Rear-SC.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Gear-Rear-SC1.JPG
    Gear-Rear-SC1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Durax.JPG
    Durax.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Gear-Front.JPG
    Gear-Front.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Gear-Front1.JPG
    Gear-Front1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Brevet Deff 34756.JPG
    Brevet Deff 34756.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 274
Hi Rodrigo
Your bike is almost certainly French. The crankset is Durax, hubs are Exceltoo and it has Super Champion gears. Everything French. I would date it between 1947 and 1951. As to which French maker is difficult to know. The best guide will be the frame lugs - check some frames on line to see if you can find anything matching. Also - if the frame has been re painted, you may find some of the original paint / decals underneath. To check this, carefully rub the frame down with very fine abrasive and maybe you will find something. Regret that I know little about French machines (although I have a Helyett - but i do not think that it is one of these)
You could also try posting on a French forum - maybe someone will know
Best Wishes, Steve

Back