Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm
Posts: 97
Midlife wrote:
Hmm, never come across that site , thanks for the heads up :). I've got some GL330 28/28 on Campag small flange (Tipo), the sides are really untidy but got me thinking.....is the rear spacing of your frame 126mm ?


It’s 120mm, so hoping it will work nicely with my pista cranks...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm
Posts: 97
Nob wrote:
Must go 57 x 12-17 set up - on of mine here to give you some idea??

https://www.iancammish.co.uk/nobs-tribute-to-roger


Love that build. Way before my time, but my club (Hitchin Nomads) is local to IRC, which Roger was a member of in his latter years. A clubmate of mine knew him well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm
Posts: 97
Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Cumbria
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huret-jubile ... Sw3YJZSXl9

Found you a rear mech :).

Should be able to as most 6 speeds were simply a 5 speed with two small sprockets screwed on the end instead of one.....not counting the slim chained Suntour Ultra 6 which will fit lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm
Posts: 97
Midlife wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huret-jubilee-Drillium-Rear-Mech-Excellent-Condition-Wonderful-Design/162764389386?hash=item25e5837c0a:g:meAAAOSw3YJZSXl9

Found you a rear mech :).

Should be able to as most 6 speeds were simply a 5 speed with two small sprockets screwed on the end instead of one.....not counting the slim chained Suntour Ultra 6 which will fit lol


That’s awesome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 am
Posts: 2001
Location: Bodmin,Cornwall.
Genetic branded parts are distributed by Ison Distribution, most bike shops should be able to get stuff from them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 8927
Location: Cumbria
Simon Masterson wrote:
Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!


Just remembered, I used to unscrew cogs off my 5 speed down to 3 to save a few ounces :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm
Posts: 218
Location: midi pyrenees FRANCE
Simon Masterson wrote:
Hi all, thought it might be fun to document my new project here; I know there are other tester types around here that appreciate this sort of thing. I race TTs on modern (ish!) kit but also love retro steel bikes, and for some time have had a bit of a hankering for something to ride when I wish I was Alf...

All builds start with a frame. This little gem gave me the idea to do this, and it arrived on Friday.

Image

It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

This is a very, very low budget project, at least in the short term. I'm also going for 'sympathetic' rather than '100% authentic' - I will be riding this in anger, and I plan to take it to the E2 or F11 some time next year to see what it's capable of. :)


It's not what the frameset/bike is capable of the performance is to do with "The nut holding the handlebars" :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds & W. Sussex on the beach.
Simon Masterson wrote:
It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!


Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm
Posts: 97
roadking wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!


Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.


Thanks, interesting, I’ve been able to glean a little online but not much. The thing that’s intriguing me is what the frame tubes might be - I have no experience of 531 frames this light or of this ilk.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group