Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retro TT build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Midlife wrote:
Hmm, never come across that site , thanks for the heads up :). I've got some GL330 28/28 on Campag small flange (Tipo), the sides are really untidy but got me thinking.....is the rear spacing of your frame 126mm ?

It’s 120mm, so hoping it will work nicely with my pista cranks...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Nob wrote:
Must go 57 x 12-17 set up - on of mine here to give you some idea??

https://www.iancammish.co.uk/nobs-tribute-to-roger

Love that build. Way before my time, but my club (Hitchin Nomads) is local to IRC, which Roger was a member of in his latter years. A clubmate of mine knew him well.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huret-jubile ... Sw3YJZSXl9

Found you a rear mech :).

Should be able to as most 6 speeds were simply a 5 speed with two small sprockets screwed on the end instead of one.....not counting the slim chained Suntour Ultra 6 which will fit lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Midlife wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huret-jubilee-Drillium-Rear-Mech-Excellent-Condition-Wonderful-Design/162764389386?hash=item25e5837c0a:g:meAAAOSw3YJZSXl9

Found you a rear mech :).

Should be able to as most 6 speeds were simply a 5 speed with two small sprockets screwed on the end instead of one.....not counting the slim chained Suntour Ultra 6 which will fit lol

That’s awesome

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Genetic branded parts are distributed by Ison Distribution, most bike shops should be able to get stuff from them.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Simon Masterson wrote:
Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!

Just remembered, I used to unscrew cogs off my 5 speed down to 3 to save a few ounces :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am 
Old School Hero

Simon Masterson wrote:
Hi all, thought it might be fun to document my new project here; I know there are other tester types around here that appreciate this sort of thing. I race TTs on modern (ish!) kit but also love retro steel bikes, and for some time have had a bit of a hankering for something to ride when I wish I was Alf...

All builds start with a frame. This little gem gave me the idea to do this, and it arrived on Friday.

It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

This is a very, very low budget project, at least in the short term. I'm also going for 'sympathetic' rather than '100% authentic' - I will be riding this in anger, and I plan to take it to the E2 or F11 some time next year to see what it's capable of. :)

It's not what the frameset/bike is capable of the performance is to do with "The nut holding the handlebars" :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds & W. Sussex on the beach.
Simon Masterson wrote:
It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

roadking wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:

Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.

Thanks, interesting, I’ve been able to glean a little online but not much. The thing that’s intriguing me is what the frame tubes might be - I have no experience of 531 frames this light or of this ilk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next