Light touring bike tire choice

HansOberlander

Dirt Disciple
I am building a light touring bike with one of my retro frames, but as I have never ridden a touring bike, I am unsure about the tire choice.
It will be mostly used for light touring (80-100km) without much baggage but I want to use it for a longer tour next summer as well. Mostly paved roads but some unpaved as well.
I thought about tires with a 28 mm width, but wanted some opinions first. I have 16c pseudo road rims which would fit up to 44 but I don't want to go too big.

Any suggestions?

Michelin Pro4 Endurance worked well for us last year along the Rhine, including some gravel and rough track sections. A surprisingly tough tyre, fast too, no cuts or anything in 2000 winter miles. Next step up in toughness would be a Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard, or Marathon Premium. Panaracer Pasela is similar.

Re:

i would say Conti Gatorskins - either in 28 or 32mm. Both feel moderately fast and I have used them on both race and touring wheels with no problems

Re:

First of all, thanks to everyone!

I think I will use the Paselas, in the middle of the price range and the tan wall design will fit my bike really well! Build-thread is coming :)

Re:

Just a quick question:
What size would you recommend? 32 or 28?

Hamster, especially your recommendation would be interesting as I am planning to travel along the rhine as well :)

If it's loaded touring I would go for the 32, provided I could get mudguards to fit. If it was a choice between 28 with guards and 32 with no guards I would go with the 28!
Mudguards make the difference between riding all day with cold wet feet and staying dry.

Re:

Sometimes it will be loaded touring.
I can definitly fit in some mudguards, the frame is made for 27" wheels and I will fit 700c in, so
giphy.gif
:D

Latest posts

Back