V-brake Canti Caliper conundrum

OldFrank

Retro Guru
I'm in the process of stripping down and building up a gitane tandem. It has some pretty mucky Mafac cantis. Given that I want the bike to stop and would probably swap its flat bars for drops, what do folks recommended? Can I get drop bar compatible Cantis with levers? Was hoping to fit a stoker brake with hub brake. But not sure if that will happen.

Any thoughts about Vs and cantis and stopping power?

Can I get drop bar compatible Cantis with levers?
Yes. The cable pull for road and cantis is the same. You could also use mini Vs. They also use "road" pull.

If you want to go v-brake, you will need to get some road levers with V brake pull, these are available. BUT, no integrated shifting (though i doubt you'd want that on an older(?) tandem!)

Generally speaking braking power will be best with V's, slightly worse with Mini Vs and worst with Cantis.

Also, the ease of setting up and maintaining a good set up is easiest with Vs, hardest with Cantis.
Critcal to get the best cables and outers too.......

Lots of options for stoker/drag hub brakes, as long as you have the correct fittings on the frame/hub!

Re:

The Dia-Compe V brake levers are dreadful. You're better off with decent cantilevers.

It is vaguely possible to run Vs with normal levers but the pads have to be set very close to the rim and will rub insufferably on climbs. Braking power is excellent, though.

Re: Re:

rogerzilla":2tlwbus8 said:
The Dia-Compe V brake levers are dreadful. You're better off with decent cantilevers.

It is vaguely possible to run Vs with normal levers but the pads have to be set very close to the rim and will rub insufferably on climbs. Braking power is excellent, though.

The Tektro RL520 V levers are very good indeed, unlike the Dia-Compes which had an awkward cable routing and never quite pulled the right amount of cable. They are £13 at PlanetX at the moment too!

Using mismatched levers is all wrong - the lack of cable travel is a massive problem as lost motion is created from cable stretch, friction and cable outer flex exaggerated down a far longer distance. Over the length of a tandem it simply doesn't work. Use the right levers. V's are conceptually great because they use more cable pull (and less cable tension) which is ideal.

I've run happily with V's but eventually managed to score some Magura HS77 drop hydro rim brakes which beat them all for simplicity. They successfully halted a loaded touring tandem (with child trailer) down Devon lanes in torrential rain - about the ultimate test I think.

I had no trouble with dia compe drop bar V levers (model 287V I think) and cane creek direct curve 2 brakes on my yates. Stopped me plus 60kg of bike and gear no trouble at all. I think V's would be the way to go though, and tektro levers are very good for the money.

Re:

The main weakness with Vs is the noodle and stirrup arrangement. With enough mileage the noodle can pull through the keyhole in the stirrup after chafing away at it, leaving you with no brake. It doesn't seem to be a problem with genuine Shimano brakes. They are far easier to set up than cantilevers, though.

foz":k44kwvlf said:
I had no trouble with dia compe drop bar V levers (model 287V I think) and cane creek direct curve 2 brakes on my yates. Stopped me plus 60kg of bike and gear no trouble at all. I think V's would be the way to go though, and tektro levers are very good for the money.
60kg of bike and gear? what were you carrying?

pigman":1bei46pe said:
foz":1bei46pe said:
60kg of bike and gear? what were you carrying?

Everything I needed to be self sufficient across the middle of Australia, 20Kg of those 60 were water.

Re: Re:

hamster":t7c2c677 said:
I've run happily with V's but eventually managed to score some Magura HS77 drop hydro rim brakes which beat them all for simplicity. They successfully halted a loaded touring tandem (with child trailer) down Devon lanes in torrential rain - about the ultimate test I think.
Yeah, we had hs22s on our mtb tandem, when set up for touring they would happily bring us to a halt from 100kph, probably not far off 180 kilos all up including tent, food and so on. (Descending a mountain pass.)

Re:

I rebuilt a 1980 Peugeot tandem last year. As has been said above, cantis are compatible with drop bar levers. I used Tektro CR720 brakes - which are easy to set up. I'm not sure which levers I used. I did need to change the brake pads though as I wasn't impressed with the ones supplied. I also chose a Sturmey Archer X-RDC hub (9 speed cassette) with drum brake (I was going to connect this to a thumbshifter for occasional use as a drag brake but still haven't got round to it).

For info on weight is about 22.5 kg with full length mudguards, front & rear rack, front hub generator(dynamo) & lights.

PS I assume you've got rid of old chrome rims

Back