Retro TT build

Midlife":q8p3x5ru said:
Hmm, never come across that site , thanks for the heads up :). I've got some GL330 28/28 on Campag small flange (Tipo), the sides are really untidy but got me thinking.....is the rear spacing of your frame 126mm ?

It’s 120mm, so hoping it will work nicely with my pista cranks...

Re:

Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Midlife":3gibfe6c said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huret-jubilee-Drillium-Rear-Mech-Excellent-Condition-Wonderful-Design/162764389386?hash=item25e5837c0a:g:meAAAOSw3YJZSXl9

Found you a rear mech :).

Should be able to as most 6 speeds were simply a 5 speed with two small sprockets screwed on the end instead of one.....not counting the slim chained Suntour Ultra 6 which will fit lol

That’s awesome

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Genetic branded parts are distributed by Ison Distribution, most bike shops should be able to get stuff from them.

Re: Re:

Simon Masterson":24vyrzpr said:
Looking at freewheels now, would I be able to run a standard 6 speed minus a sprocket in 120mm? I’ve never taken one apart before!

Just remembered, I used to unscrew cogs off my 5 speed down to 3 to save a few ounces :)

Simon Masterson":7vhz5bx7 said:
Hi all, thought it might be fun to document my new project here; I know there are other tester types around here that appreciate this sort of thing. I race TTs on modern (ish!) kit but also love retro steel bikes, and for some time have had a bit of a hankering for something to ride when I wish I was Alf...

All builds start with a frame. This little gem gave me the idea to do this, and it arrived on Friday.

2lj5caw.jpg

It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

This is a very, very low budget project, at least in the short term. I'm also going for 'sympathetic' rather than '100% authentic' - I will be riding this in anger, and I plan to take it to the E2 or F11 some time next year to see what it's capable of. :)

It's not what the frameset/bike is capable of the performance is to do with "The nut holding the handlebars" :D

Simon Masterson":4ycrx1hm said:
It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.

roadking":1ug8n9tu said:
Simon Masterson":1ug8n9tu said:

Probably is - looks like - an Alec Bird, my brother bought a frameset from Ken, and I have bumped into Alec a few times over the years. It has that scruffy yellow-primer paint job one of mine had; not Ken's signature colour nor Alecs.

I've acquired a fair bit of knowledge on this builder. I've had a couple, restoring one at the moment.

Rk.

Thanks, interesting, I’ve been able to glean a little online but not much. The thing that’s intriguing me is what the frame tubes might be - I have no experience of 531 frames this light or of this ilk.

Back