Retro TT build

Simon Masterson

Old School Hero
Hi all, thought it might be fun to document my new project here; I know there are other tester types around here that appreciate this sort of thing. I race TTs on modern (ish!) kit but also love retro steel bikes, and for some time have had a bit of a hankering for something to ride when I wish I was Alf...

All builds start with a frame. This little gem gave me the idea to do this, and it arrived on Friday.

2lj5caw.jpg

It's (thought to be) an Alec Bird built frame, apparently in 531. Paint's a bit tatty, but that's easily fixed. I was shocked by how light it is - <1700g for the frame; the fork is more typical at 750g. The only thing I don't like is the bottle bosses!

This is a very, very low budget project, at least in the short term. I'm also going for 'sympathetic' rather than '100% authentic' - I will be riding this in anger, and I plan to take it to the E2 or F11 some time next year to see what it's capable of. :)

Re:

A few components to get us started:

9psx05.jpg

Firstly, probably one of the most unassuming items that will be on this bike. I paid a tenner for it on eBay, think it's SR or similar. Pretty light, and should polish up nicely. I may be able to shorten it a little as well.

sl2u1l.jpg

Secondly, a dural 13 up 5 speed, which should be perfect for my club's sporting course. I will hunt down a 12 up next year some time.

23kvfom.jpg

And thirdly, a Record rear hub, 122 OLN. A bit scratched, but bearings are nice.

Thanks, I see you are dipping your toe into my era :) over BB cable guides, drilled vertical dropouts,..... I guess the bottom bracket has 5 big holes in it :)

Shaun

Here it is on HS website :)

Ken-Bird-yellow.jpg

The Sprint freewheel had a mix of steel and alloy cogs iirc, you might find a new chain skips badly over the worn cogs. For peace of mind I'd use a new / NOS. For smaller cogs you will probably need 6 speed where the smallest cog screws inside the second and not onto the body ?

Re:

Sadly you may be right. I love how light it is though. I have a couple of other 5 speeds lying around but they aren’t straight through. Will keep my eye out.

Shimano 600 "corncob" sometimes crop up on eBay, Uniglide chains can be a pain to find though :(. BITD a lot of these frames were built for Weinmann 500 brakes.....on the premise brakes were never used Lol.

If the rear triangle is short and there's not much of a dent in the chainstay you might need an axle for a double chainset for the 54 plus chainring to clear the chainstay :)

Back